" Climbing is one of the few sports in which the arena (the cliffs, the mountains and their specific routes) acquire a notoriety that outpopulates, outshines and outlives the actual athletes." -Jonathan Waterman.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Zanskar frozen river Trek

Zanskar frozen river Trek 5 years ago #600

How feasible is it to do a Chadar Ice trek or the frozen Zanskar river trek in December?

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 5 years ago #602

Chadar opens for January to February end, at the most. it is below freezing point in December, So it is not exactly a great idea to do a Chadar / Zanskar frozen river trek in December... It depends on snowfall as well as to how difficult this trek will be.. walking on weak ice with a truckload on your backpack is a tricky ask.. so you have to be careful.. any other opinion on this guys?
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 8 months ago #780

Hi,

This is one of the itineraries that I have received from one of the trekking companies

Day 1:
Arrive by flight and report at Leh. Rest of the day free for acclimatization. Stay over night at the hotel. Get also used to the cold.

Day 2:
Drive from Leh to Chilling and Tilat Sumdo. Today in the morning drive with small brief halt at the magnificent confluence of River Zanskar and Indus and then again a drive to the Chilling, one of the most famous villages in Ladakh, known for craftsmanship, especially the metal works. Touching the Chadar first time, we start the trek for 1-2 hrs along the magnificent frozen river Zanskar till Tilat Sumdo. Overnight in cave/camp/tent. Also learn the fun way to adjust yourself to Ladakhi Shuffle walk style on the frozen slippery ice of River Zanskar.

Day 3:
Trek from Tilat Sumdo to Tsomo Paldar - 6 hours.After the breakfast call at 7:30 am and an early departure, the walk on the Chadar has fully started. Hearing the different sounds of Chadar forming and breaking, you will soon get familiar where the Chadar or the ice cover is thick and thin. With a early lunch break in between, we would soon reach the majestic .

Day 4:
Trek from Tsomo Paldar to Dibb - 8 hours. Though today is the longest day of the trek, we pass through some magnificent beautiful waterfalls and frozen ice cliffs on the left - it is like walking through a giant freezer! The walk also crosses through narrow gorges, where the trekker may have to climb briefly on to the rocky river bank. The sharp bends and current of the river breaks the ice in some places. Lunch in between on a flat rocky hill side by the river.

Day 5:
Trek from Dibb to Nyerak Pullu - 7 hrs. Again one of the magnificent days on the Chadar trek. However, the caution being that this can become a difficult if the Chadar is not very firm. The vistas are stunning though as we pass through giant frozen waterfalls, ice cliffs and one may even catch sight of the mountain fox. Nyerak village is located high above. Beyond the bridge that links Nyerak village with Lingshed, small huts mark the summer grazing shelters of the villagers.

Day 6:
Trek from Nyerak to Dibb

Though technically it is the same way back, it is also quite different. The Chadar or the blanket of ice that is forming on the River Zanskar is always changing, breaking up and forming itself again. As the Chadar dynamics are ever changing, the same route and place would look and feel different as the texture and conditions change.

Day 7:
Trek from Tibb to Shingra Koma.

Day 8:
Trek from Shingra Koma to Chilling and drive to Leh. Overnight stay at Guest house.

Day 9:
Return from Leh.

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 8 months ago #781

By Any chance , is there a shorter itinerary . 9 days may be just too long .

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 8 months ago #782

The shortest possible itinerary that I have come across is a 5-6 day itinerary .

Day 01 Arrive Leh. Transfer to hotel.
Rest day free for acclimatization

Day 02 Morning visit Shey Palace and Thiksey monastery.
Evening familiarization walk to Shanti Stupa.

Day 03 Drive to Tilat Sumdo (trek starting point)
Trek on the frozen river till Bakula Bawo 3350m 02 hrs
06 hrs Camp at Bakula Bawo

Day 04 Trek on frozen river upto Tipyak Bawo 3350m 06-07 hrs Camp at Tipyak Bawo

Day 05 Trek back to Bakula Bawo 3350m 06-07 hrs Camp at Bakula Bawo

Day 06 Trek back to Tilat Sumdo
Vehicles will be ready here for drive to Leh.

Though , in my opinion , if you are making an effort to go all the way to Leh, than it would be prudent to spend a few more days and explore the landscape especially as it would be covered with Ice and snow.

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 8 months ago #793

Hey,

My sincere suggestion would be to take rest for min 2 days else 3 days (includes the arrival day) before you embark on the trek.

From my exp in 2013 you should try to go to Lingshed village from Nyrek and spend a night and return the next day. Its worth seeing how people live in that climate. Also the hike up is a good exp.

You can read about the trek at amards.blogspot.in/2013/01/chadar.html

We trekked for 8 days in total.

Cheers

Amar
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder
---------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #934

Hi Guys,

As mentioned in one of my previous posts , Iam planning to do this between 25th Jan to 5th Feb .

Looking forward to this exciting and cold trek , Anyone with more Info on this , Like - Do's , Dont's and highlights of the trek will be helpful .

Also, anyone interested to join in . Pls inbox me .

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #938

Hey,

This looks great and after reading all the posts that have been put up on this trk, keen to do it with you. What are the details ? Send me some info. Would like to join you guys .

(y)

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #944

Hi,

What is the kind of equipment rental required for this trek. I would imagine that if there is a lot of walking on the ice then SNowboot or at least crampons should be required. What are the temperatures going to be like. Sleeping bag requirement ? -20 / -30

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #946

Well for gear

Get gumboots from Leh local market. Make DIAMOND (black ones). We did the entire trek till Lingshed in them

Good sleeping bags. Get them locally on hire.

Cover all the gear with plastic bags to ensure no water seeps in. As the gear is dragged on slacks on the river surface.

Wear layers for clothing..

Carry multiple pairs of socks with you, incase they get wet change immediately. Forget the wet ones to dry.

Cheers
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #949

Hi Amar,

This is good Info buddy , Thanks for this . For the Gum boots do you typically buy them or get them on hire .

Also any other tips or suggestions . How cold does it really .

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 7 months ago #950

Buy the gum boots they are not expensive... Rs450 per pair. When you try the gum boots wear multiple layer of socks so ensure fitting.

Well it is cold but you dressed in layers so it helps. Activity does help a lot to generate warmth. Dress is multiple layers... pref moisture wicking ones. As mentioned earlier multiple pair of socks.. you get good woolen (yak) socks in Leh local market worth buy a pair or two to wear above the normal sock of yours. During my trek last the the coldest it got was -23c. Eat n drink plenty.
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 6 months ago #992

Hey Amar,

Thanks for the tip . Wow . . . -23 . Sounds crazy. Don't think my watch even measures those temperatures. But on a serious note, I am very skeptical about Gum-Boots. Are you serious about Gumboots ? Is that what people actually do when doing this trek. How much walking can you really do in Gumboots. I mean at the end of the day, your going to be walking in thin plastic boots. Probably thought that the least kind of foot wear that would be required are Koflachs that one rents in Leh. . .

Also, what is the scene in the city. I'm presuming that most of the city must be closed during this time . Is it worth spending a couple of extra days to visit the Gompa and stuff ?

Re: Zanskar frozen river Trek 4 years, 6 months ago #993

-23c was one night else is around -16c odd more or less.

Well Gumboots it is !! I doubt Koflachs will work when u have to wade through icecold water. Everybody uses gumboots and trust me they work like a charm.

Most of the city is closed but as you flying into Leh it is advisable to stay put for 2days atleast so you can either just relax at hotel/gh or walk in the market else visit Kardungla/pangong so/gompas subject to weather and snow.
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds