" Remember that time spent on a rock climb isn't subtracted from your life span." -Will Niccolls.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trekking to Stok kangri

Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 4 months ago #723

Hi,

I was woondering if any one can provide me information about Stok Kangri Trek. First and foremost is this actually a trek or a climb and how difficult is this climb. Will I need any specialized equipment. I have trekked before at high altitude and am familiar with the affects of acute mountaineering sickness, however is this going to be much more difficult than that ?

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 4 months ago #724

The Stok Kangri though often referred to as a trekking peak is difficult and not so difficult at the same time.

Some of the difficult bits are:

The final approach of Stok Kangri summit climb is on a ridge that starts on the southern side of the mountain and extends to the summit. It is almost 1,000 feet climb starting at about 19,000 feet. The ridge climb when the oxygen content reduces by 60% is so low that sheer exhaustion makes the climb difficult. The terrain gets a little precarious on the ridge and iso not advised for people with Virtigo.

At 18,000 feet trekkers need to traverse a series of wide snow patches to get to the ridge discussed above. Looking down the steep flank of the mountain may look unnerving. Trekkers are usually on crampons on this section and will have to rope up too. This looks like mountaineering but it generally eliminates any risk of slipping. However, for a trekker who has never experienced high altitude trekking this can seem daunting.

The trekking days are long and dry. For those not physically prepared, this can be exhausting.

The not so difficult things are:
The terrain is not difficult at any time. Reaching the Stok Kangri base camp requires physically fitness, but the terrain does not pose much challenge. The climbs are even and so are the descents. There are no sections where it requires trekkers to get on their hands on foot to cross a difficult part.

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #794

Am planning to do this in 2014.

Cheers

Amar
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder
---------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #804

you can have a look at indiahikes.in
to be precise www.stokkangri.in/
www.stokkangri.in/stok-kangri-summit-trek.html

They do it from the last 3 years ... I have some friends who are going with them in a couple of weeks...will get recent updates.
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by Satya.

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #805

Yeah i am aware of India Hikes....

Personally I detest going in a huge group .. also till date have arranged my treks on my own and in a group of max 5-6 people. I know the cost increase but i prefer it that way. We had arranged our Chadar trek also with the help of ota local agency through which i can do this one along with other like minded people.

Also during my roopkund trek, seeing IH in operation i would prefer alternates

Cheers

Amar
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #814

Hi Amar ,

Stok Kangri is quite doable by yourself with some little Logistcs support of a local trekking agency . The inner line permit is the main thing which they need to obtain for you and some one who can assist you with food supplies . I did it in 2011 with a local agent who helped me with these things and we hired equipment from Leh .

Let me know if you need any help or more Info here .

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #815

hi grape_bus700

thanks though i have a long time to go... it would be great ifican have the local agency contact.

thanks
Amar
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by amarshah.

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 3 months ago #825

I've been climbing in Ladakh for years. My friend in Leh does logistics for me. He will be doing logistics for me on Nun this year. Stok should be like a walk in the park for him. His is a value for money outfit. Just fyi ...
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 5 years, 2 months ago #829

Also, you can get in touch with my friend Sauraj. He runs an adventure company and may be able to help you out as he does Stok every year as well . Contact +91 7709002312

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 4 years, 3 months ago #1092

Hi Guys ,

Leaving for the NUN climb tomorrow , excited and anxious at the same time .

Should be back by first week of Sept and will update everyone on the forum about the experience .

-

Re: Trekking to Stok kangri 2 years, 7 months ago #1128

Just logged into my account here recently. I had to comment at the mention of India Hikes.

Without sounding offensive, my two pence worth to trekkers (the target group that clubs like India Hikes are aiming at) is that you get what you pay for. True, such groups can keep the price down by being able to take BIG groups on some of the well known trails. But trekkers should pay more attention to aspects such as safety, quality of service and the overall camaraderie during a trip; which is much better In smaller well knit groups than larger commercially managed groups.

I am not really into trekking but on my Hikes to base camps of my mountaineering/Alpine objectives I come across trekkers, gear sellers and outdoor companies who rarely have anything positive to say about India Hikes.

Still, without trying to influence the minds of the trekking community, especially the novice trekkers, I would suggest be careful about who you associate with and let your decisions be well informed. Any trip, be it a simple trek or a technical mountaineering objective, should not be decided on "how much it costs" but rather "how well it's managed".

@grapebus.... How was Nun.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by jerrypothen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds