" I believe that the ascent of mountains forms an essential chapter in the complete duty of man, and that it is wrong to leave any district without setting foot on its highest peak." -Sir Leslie Stephen.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather?

A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 7 years, 6 months ago #269

Can some one recommend a good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? And any recommended shops/websites to get it?
  • Thinker
  • Junior Boarder

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 7 years, 6 months ago #272

Hi,

According to my knowledge , Walkie - Talkies are il-legal to use without the right set of permissions from the Government. Its slightly complicated a process.

Motorola has good hand sets and you get them in the price range of 5 k to 30 k depending on the model , battery life and the range , but typically 5 km's range & 10 km's ones are available quite freely in most modern electronic equipment shops . If you are using these outside city limits and not very often , you may buy and try your luck but if its for regular use , its recommended to get a license for it .

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 7 years, 6 months ago #275

Thanks! That was some good information!
  • Thinker
  • Junior Boarder

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 7 years, 6 months ago #276

High power walki talkies require license. the one with 4 Watt output and working on 27MHz band does not require any license.
known as citizen's band (CB), this band has 40 frequencies / channels with predefined use including mountaineering, sports communication, highway communication etc.
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 6 years, 6 months ago #1052

Walky-talkies are allowed everywhere and one doesn't need any licence for that(provided they aren't very high frequency). Other option is Ham radio(google for them). The licence is required for a satellite phone which sadly is not permitted in Indian territory, but there are some changes in that law likely to take place after a few climbers appealed to the govt to make the laws lenient when they faced life threatening situations.

I've been using a pair of Cobras(microTalk CXT425) which were around 40 pounds back in 2011. They work efficiently, its range is around 6km line-of-sight and the voice breaks(but manageable) whenever there's any hindrance between the two devices. I was able to make a call from the summit of a 6000er to base camp in white out conditions.SO it brilliantly serves the purpose given the price at which it is offered. Other option could be Motorola, they have many models which you can look up on Amazon's website.

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 6 years, 6 months ago #1055

Hi Akash ,

So can one use these in India and Nepal Himalayas without any permission or licensee's ?

Re: A good walky-talky model for long distance communication in bad weather? 6 years, 6 months ago #1057

In India, yes the walkies area allowed(Sat phone not as yet). About Nepal, since they allow Sat phones also, Im assuming they would also allow walky-talkies.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds