" Desire is just a part -the cracking ice, the splitting rock
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trekking Shoes

Trekking Shoes 5 years ago #278

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up high ankle trekking shoes of a brand called "Kilimanjaro" from Europe , I have been hearing about this brand & finally invested about INR 4.5 k in the shoes with a vibram sole , If any one has used them let me know !!

Before this I was using "Lafuma's" which were around the same price which I bought from a store called Adventure 18 in Bombay , but lasted me only 3 treks above 5000 mts ++ and then gave away . I was thinking they would atleast last me 8 - 10 treks high altitude treks .

Can someone suggest how many high altitude treks should a good shoe be able to survive . Also , Is there a choice in India really or are we still looking at woodlands and Quecha's ..
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 5 months ago #750

Well! who is to say how many treks a boot should last.

Personally, if I have used a boot for 4 or 5 expeditions. I pick a new one. The retired one can do duty on travels and other casual stuff.

I have used Adidas (range called Adidas Outdoor Equipment - not sure if its being made anymore), Forclaz 900 Trek (fantastic hiking boots, even crampon compatible for emergency) and Forclaz 600.

The last boot has a sticker price of 6000, but can be yours for 4 to 5000 from any online retailer. Good boots. Vibram sole, leather and novadry membrane, reasonable insulation (don't need much insulation during hikes. And during the really cold sections in an expedition, you would be wearing a mountaineering boot which would be insulated), waterproof, breathable.

Not sure if you can get much more for 4 or 5000. Too bad the Forclaz 900 Treks are not retailing anywhere these days. The 900s would have the 600s for breakfast 365 days a year.

Woodlands - NO NO NO.
Hi Tec - Not sure. I wouldn't invest in them. But to each his own I guess.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #784

I use Merrell... the last one lasted for 3 years and am very satisfied and ordered a new pair
www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.asp...81&swapId=888881
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #791

How are the Forclaz 700 compared to 600 ??
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder
---------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #799

HI Satya, Are Merrell available in India?
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #800

you can buy them from Myntra.com
One of my friend got Merrell shoes delivered at home
Prices might be just a little higher but again you get offers like independence day offer etc

Cheers,
Satya
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #801

Forclaz has added advantage of crampon compatability ... Merrell showes doesnt have crampon compatability as they are pure hiking shoes
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #810

@Satya: That's great!
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #817

A response to each query would make this quite redundant. So here goes my essay.

If its Merrell vs Quechua. Then its really personal preference. Each person has a slight inclination towards his/her favourite brand for whatever reason.

But comparing different trims in the Forclaz range is like comparing apples and oranges. Meaning one is not supposed to compare say a Forclaz 500 or 600 with say a Forclaz 800 or 900. They are meant for different types of hikes, different gradients, different sorts of feet and different ways in which people use their boots.

Anything less than Forclaz 500 should be avoided if you consider yourself a serious trekker. Mountaineer? Any of these boots should not be used beyond the Base Camp. 900 Trek may be used till the ABC. (I have personally worn them to the summit of Chumser - 22000'. Not recommended though, unless you hate your feet and are planning to get rid of them in a jiffy). Forclaz 500 DOES NOT sport a Vobram sole. 600 and above DO HAVE a Vibram sole.

@ Satya - About crampon compatibility. Only 800 and 900 are crampon compatible. Which means the regular strap-on crampons. The crampomatics and step-ins (fully automatic) are not an option because the boots are not welted. Although the 900 does have a rubber edge at the back which somewhat looks like a welt (making you consider a crampomatic crampon - and I have used it that way too), I would still say it is only compatible with a strap-on crampon. The KEY word with crampons though is "OCCASIONALLY". Which means you dont do it too often, and never for too long. This is according to Quechua and Novadry. Check out their sites. Even though the 800 and 900 allow some level of basic crampon compatibility, they are still trekking boots and by no means should be used for anything more than that. May be an occasional glacier traverse or approach to an advance camp if there is some crusty snow or slight ice. So like Merrell the Forclaz would have to be considered hiking/trekking boots as well.

600 and 700 do sport Vibram soles but Vibram sole per se does not enable crampon compatibility. Hence the conclusion that 600 and 700 ARE NOT crampon compatible.

@ Amarshah - You needed a comparison between 600 and 700.
Response - Not meant to be compared. 600 should be compared to a boot in its own class say a Zamberlan 186 Ranger or something like that. Personally I would pick the 600 over 700 because the 700 to me looks ugly. The tan finish doesnt work for me, besides it looks very cumbersome and is slightly on the heavier side too. The 600 could have come in better colour combinations, but I guess we'll have to do with the one shade that is being sold.

Personal opinion again. Forclaz 900 Trek is easily the best hiking boot out there. I have used it extensively. But these days I would pick the 600 over 900. Personal reasons. Besides the 900 Trek is not even being sold at the moment.

The whole Forclaz range uses a fabric/membrane called Novadry. Its good without being the greatest fabric ever invented. Its waterproof for sure. I can vouch for that. The breathability is OK. Just about OK. If you are picking the boots from the store and you test it out for waterproofing in the large vessel that most Decathlon stores have, dont worry if you see the leather turning dark. Leather is supposed to absorb water. Thats normal. The waterproofing comes from the Novadry membrane under the leather. The water just wont get past the membrane. AND Because Novadry is their proprietary technology, Quechua is able to keep their prices really low, compared to say a boot which uses Gore-tex.

Stay away from Woodlands, Lee Cooper etc which make boots that look like they are meant to be used OUT THERE. They are not. They are terrible.

Do consider Zamberlan, La-Sportiva, Scarpa, TNF etc. Most brands that make Mountaineering boots, do also make trekking boots. The range is almost endless and quality is top notch. The big question is 1. how does one source these? 2. Does one have the budget for these boots.

Budget - To each his own I suppose.
Sourcing -
1. Try Sierra Trading or REI.
2. Last option - Try ME. Ha Ha.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #819

I must say you have done great research on the subject ...kudos! :)
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #820

Thats a exhaustive reply.. thanks a ton
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by amarshah.

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #823

Wow ,

Thanks Jerry. Was in the process of picking up shoes and have spent the last few weeks trying to find info that will be as comprehensive as you've given us. Fantastic . Really a one stop , info shop. Appreciate all the information and will act on it accordingly.

Cheers
Sam

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 4 months ago #824

@ Amar, Satya and Sam

You are welcome gentlemen. I am glad I could help.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #836

Hi Jerry,

Well i tried the Forclaz 700 and found them real heavy and let go the idea totally. The Forclaz 600 were not in stock for my size of 43.

hows your reading on the Salomon range of shoes one gets in India like the Comet 3D Gtx Detroit Hiking Boots or Quest 4D GTX boots ?

Thanks
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #837

Yeah! It was always going to be heavy with that design and the type of leather they are using. In King Julians lingo (ref Madagascar); one would have to say, "Didn't I TELL you about the weight?"

Jokes apart. Seriously if you can wait for the 600's it would save you a lot of money. Not to say that the Salmons are not worth every penny. I haven't actually hiked in them. I use their skiing range a lot. They are pricy and in mountain terms, you always get what you pay for. So if you are paying 8 to 10K (I don't know how much are they retailing for at the moment), then you can bet your bottom dollar, that the Quest range is worth the price. Their whole range, climbing, hiking, skiing etc is fantastic. I have seen the hiking boots somewhere in Bangalore. They sure looked the part to me.

I checked from my end too. (I resell stuff). The Forclaz 600 in size 43 are out of stock indeed. Tough luck.

So if you cant wait, and have the money, sure Salomons wont disappoint you. Besides, I would rate Goretex higher than Novadry any day.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #838

Thanks again Jerry yes the Quest looks good but costs roughly 12k odd whereas the 600 Forclaz is about half that...

Let me wait a bit and see if 600 gets back in stock
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #839

12k? Wow. I am traveling tonight. Will be back tomorrow. Let me check. I think I can get it for less. Sorry am in a bit of a rush.

But yes, waiting for 600 would be a good idea. I am really into performance and all those sorts of things, and still don't mind using the 600. As a matter of fact I will be using them for approach to the base camp of Nun next month. For high camps right upto the summit, I will be using the La Sportiva Nepal Extreme. Both good boots.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #840

You right... i had my hitech which lasted me for 6 treks and had to discard them after this years trek to NDBC. They got ruined in the floods...

I do have time and do not mind waiting as the earliest i would now trek would be in 2014 only.

Cheers
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder

amards.blogspot.com/

Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #841

hi guys,
my name is puneet atwal and presently based in blore. i am new here, my line of work ensures that i get to trek to places which are pristine and breath taking. i dont have much experience in mountaineering but would love to do it, as nothing is more captivating than the scenic awe inspiring beauty of the mountains. you guys are doing a fine job. keep on the good work.
i am looking for good trekking boots in india, i have used scarpas, merrells, meindls, but they were all procured via friends residing abroad.
Do we get scarpas, asolo, or lowa in india by any chance? i was also wanting to know the performance of solamon 4d gtx.....coz as a last resort i would have to pick them up.
cheers
atty
  • atty
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #842

Welcome Atty. Both Quest and Comet are performers. Gore-Tex needs no introduction. One of the best if not THE best outdoor fabric out there. If you have the money, sure, go for Salomon.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds