" One who's poised on the edge of a cliff is wise to define progress as a step backward." -The fate of all life on Earth.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trekking Shoes

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #843

thanks jerry. cheers
  • atty
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #844

Hey Atty,

Welcome to the group and more importantly welcome to the thread as this is one of the most exhaustive thread especially thanks to all the research done ( and contributed by Jerry) . Since we are throwing names into the hat ( especially one that are absolutely above my pay grade :) ), recently on a trip to Island Peak, Nepal, a German guy who was doing the climb with us was flaunting his "La sportiva" . These were neither heavy nor High ankle, but besides water proof, had a fantastic grip . The distinct advantage that he had was when he used these shoes for the approach march till the snow line on summit day, he carried his SCARPA snow boots in his bag, and on the change around, these shoes nicely fit into his day bag without adding too much additional weight. He was able to save a lot of energy on the approach march as a result. Subsequently, as we were descending, we happen to come across some of the Marathin runners for the Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon (THEM) 42 kms on the Everest Base Camp Trail, and a lot of them were wearing these same shoes.

Slightly different school of thought . . . Don't know if it works though . . .

Cheers

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #845

Still travelling, but couldn't resist commenting on this one. Lol.

Sam, I guess anybody can wear anything and see if it works for them. But that's besides the point. The low ankle boots that you are referring to are probably trail running shoes. Of course they have to be waterproof and breathable. That's performance. How well each boot performs also determines the pricing. BUT, if one is hiking in those boots, that is purely a matter of personal choice. For example, years back I was hiking (I prefer climbing to hiking but whenever I did) in a pair of boots by Adidas. I think the range was called Adidas Outdoor Equipment (discontinued now). I would swear by those boots till this one time on a rainy day, when I stepped into a puddle which was ankle deep. Trust me wet feet are bad. Cold and wet is horrible. If you see the design of most high ankle hiking boots, the tongue area is nicely WEBBED, to take care of such situations.

That, and the fact that in high ankle boots you have ample support for your ankles, considering you have a heavy pack. Runners don't have to worry about these things. The only thing they have on their backs is a waterbladder, which is an excuse for a pack, at best.

Conclusion. In a sane world, low ankle boots (the ones you are referring to) are meant for trail running. Running in high or mid ankle boots is a nightmare. On the flipside, high and mid ankle boots are apt for hiking, but if one chooses to hike in low ankle boots, who are we to stop him.

Personally, I save on weight and space in other departments. Sleep system, insulated layers, modular rucksacks etc etc. But I suppose that should be a different thread. Sorry admin. Lol

Definitely worth a mention though Sam.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #848

Any idea where I can find Scarpa Inverno in India?
I need to check the size... I know baruntse is much lighter but cant afford :'(
I wear hiking shoes of US size 10. the inverno I used was US size 12 and was way too big that crampons with normal adjustment bars were not fitting.It fitted well. But I need to see if 11.5 works... I want to try the size before I buy one. Need to check deals on US labor day if I get any.

Cheers,
Satya
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #849

Haha . . . For sure Jerry. To each his own as you've correctly put it and considering I came across the runners on the Everest Marathon with similar shoes, there is little doubt about these being "Trail runners" rather than trekking climbing boots. Just thought it would be worth a mention, as increasingly so, I 've come across several trekkers ( bordering on the ardent fanatics) especially from the European nations ( Germany & Italy to be more specific ) who seem to incline towards this preference. Though having said that, not an endorsement on my part at all .

Cheers

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #852

Oh definitely worth a mention. I do all sorts of crazy stuff with my apparel as well. Sometimes rework the whole kit in order to climb as light as possible. Some people feel footwear is another department they can experiment with. Its interesting. Crazy, but interesting.

@Satya - Invernos in India? Doubtful. Does anybody climb in plastic boots these days? They feel like a relic. If you are keen on plastics, I think Koflach Degre can be arranged. If you are keen on the invernos, I can check with a friend in Leh (the boots will be used though).
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #863

Satya wrote:
Any idea where I can find Scarpa Inverno in India?
I need to check the size... I know baruntse is much lighter but cant afford :'(
I wear hiking shoes of US size 10. the inverno I used was US size 12 and was way too big that crampons with normal adjustment bars were not fitting.It fitted well. But I need to see if 11.5 works... I want to try the size before I buy one. Need to check deals on US labor day if I get any.

Cheers,
Satya

Friends, moved this to a new thread. Technical mountaineering boots deserve a separate thread for discussion :-).

www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/11-gear...ts-in-india.html#862

Please continue any discussion on technical boots on this new thread. Thanks!
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #865

hey samir,
thanks for the insight on la sportiva low ankle boots. i agree with jerry on the trail running part. they fit the bill for light trekking, trail running and fair weather walking. but in my experience i prefer the high ankle ones. any day are better as they take care of my feet atleast in small puddles slush etc......but no boot in the world can keep ur feet warm......and the joke also goes amongst my mates that no matter what kit u got , there is nothing waterproof in this world......ur bound to get wet and cold..... and hope like hell for the sun to come out on ur side of the slope to warm ur bones.
cheers
  • atty
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 3 months ago #866

brooding over the fact that I posted a response to attys post and still don't see it. Agony.
--

@Atty

Warmth:
A lot of boots especially mountaineering boots do come with insulated footbeds. Thinsulate, Ibi Thermo etc are good examples; and they work. They are removable too in case you don't need the insulation. Then there is the concept of chemical foot warmers. Also quite useful. But apart from all these bells and whistles, one has to have the basics right.

Sometimes being warm is a matter of how dry you are? Dry feet = warm. Wet feet = Cold. This is where ones system of layering socks comes into play. Which in my opinion deserves a separate thread.

But in a nutshell, woollens, synthetics or blends are the way to go, with wicking liners if one is really conscious of his system. A layering system of wicking liner and woollen or synthetic over it does wonders for moisture management. MY #1 rule is "cotton kills". And I do believe one can stay warm depending on what insulating technology the boot employs and how one layers his socks and how DRY can one manage to stay at high altitudes.

Waterproofing
Waterproofing for most outdoor gear sellers is a very tall claim. If the claim cannot be substantiated OUT THERE, then they could land in serious trouble. So I wouldn't rubbish the whole "waterproof" thing. I believe we ought to look at ourselves again. Attys friends were probably wet from perspiration or the water seeping from over the boots rather than because the boots were not waterproof.

There is another thing. Even Duckback makes waterproof rubber shoes. But you wouldn't hike in them right? Why? Cause they are not breathable. Which means in about 30 minutes you will be walking in a puddle of your own sweat. Disgusting!!

Breathability like waterproofing is a relative variable. Which means different fabrics, different manufacturers etc offer different levels of breathability along with their waterproofing fabrics. So a boot may be so much waterproof and so much breathable and another boot may be slightly more or less waterproof and slightly more or less breathable than the first. Depends on what you got for yourself. Most people complaining about wetness are probably wrongly attired for the occasion and are perspiring profusely because of inappropriate socks or boots which are waterproof but not very breathable or they are just careless to allow water to seep in from over the boots.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Trekking Shoes 4 years, 1 month ago #1046

Not sure how good they are but seems to be good enough. I was in China and visited Decathlon to get the Forclaz 600 for myself. There i saw Forclaz Speed. The sales guy also vouched for it compared to 600. Felt them lighter to and having a better fit.

I wore it to a day hike on the Great Wall and seemed great too me

See details here... www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&...vm=bv.55980276,d.bmk
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder
---------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.

amards.blogspot.com/

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months, 1 week ago #1228

Hi Guys..joined today this group.
I am planning to purchase hiking shoes for mid altitude trek(15k feet) with moderate snow and tough terrain..I narrowed down my search to "Salomon Men's X Ultra Mid 2 GTX Multifunctional Hiking Boot" - Please suggest me if they are good for such terrain with snow.
They claim them to be waterproofed with Gore-tex.

www.amazon.in/Salomon-Ultra-Mid-Hiking-S...X&th=1&psc=1

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Upkar
  • UY
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months, 1 week ago #1229

Hi Upkar,

The response truly depends on what you are looking for in a hiking boot. Do you need good ankle support, semi rigid sole, heel welt and a heavy duty boot, then you should be looking at some european brand. Dont get me wrong. The Salomon's you are looking at, should be OK. Like most synthetic hiking shoes, I am presuming Salomon (like Merrell, Head, Hitech etc are made in China (will do the job, but synthetic shoes need to be replaced often)

But brands like Scarpa, salewa, Vasque and zamberlan etc make heavy duty boots, built to last. Most often they come with vibram semi rigid soles that can be resoled. But with the amount of disposable income people have these days, that point is moot. I'd say go for it. If you get 4 to 5 seasons out of them, you've got your moneys worth.

In case you need more inputs, do let me know.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months, 1 week ago #1230

Thank you Jerry for valuable inputs.
Yes I want good ankle support/toe support and semi rigid sole and budget would be around 10k INR(I think it's less as far as Scarpa/Salewa are concerned).
Not able to decide in that case - How about Quechua or Karrimor?

Thanks again. Upkar
  • UY
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months, 1 week ago #1231

Hey Upkar,

No worries. Pleasure is mine.
Scarpa Salewa etc will be much pricier. Dont worry about it. Salomon makes good hiking and trail shoes. The X Ultra seems good. Waterproof and breathable and light enough for a mid ankle boot. Unless youre on a tight budget and not doing tough hikes, I'd say steer clear of Decathlon stuff.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months ago #1232

Upkar,

I forgot to mention this earlier. Personally I have come a long way from using heavy duty semi rigid soled hiking shoes to cross overs. I am currently using the Merrell Grassbow for approach hikes to the base camp of peaks I intend to climb. Obvious advantages are lightweight and versatility (approach, trail running and use in resorts and around town). It is beginning to wear after three seasons and I feel I have got my moneys worth. With the Salomon's youre interested in, expect to get 4-5 seasons (three or four multi day hikes of two or more weeks a year). The life also depends on your gait. And even after that only problems will be with the insole which can be replaced. Unfortunately Salomon out soles cannot be replaced.

Hope this info is useful.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 7 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months ago #1233

Thanks Jerry - Your reviewed helped me a lot in understanding what type of shoes are suitable for which terrain - I will keep in mind the points below like lightweight/versatility etc.while making purchase. However I am unable to locate any Merrell store:(

Thanks Buddy.
  • UY
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Trekking Shoes 7 months ago #1234

Those Salomon's are good too. Merrell probably doesn't have any exclusive retail stores here. But that is true for most good brands, be it boots, apparel or technical equipment. I did have a couple but they are gone. Sorry. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds