" To qualify for mountain rescue work, you have to pass our test. The doctor holds a flashlight to your ear. If he can see light coming out the other one, you qualify." - Willy Pfisterer
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes

Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #443

Hey guys, have been trying to find out what are the best mountaineering / trekking shoe brands. Any ideas? How is Woodland?
  • uphillclimb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #444

Hello there uphill climb, Woodland seems a fairly good option. Have read about woodland boots being good and have heard from friends as well. However, it also depends where you are headed to and how tough are the conditions, when you are choosing hiking or trekking boots. Some other very good and trusted brands are Asolo, La Sportiva and Vasque. Asolo especially has a range of shoes/boots for the die hard alpinist or a casual trekker. Most of these brands, including Patagonia, offer technical mountaineering shoes. Apart from these, you could also check Adidas and Nike, if they have such shoes. I hope this helps!
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #458

Hi People ,

Have never really had positive experiences from woodland . I did try them once on the a trek to the Everest Base camp , they did not support well on the ankle and were not water resistant , Started becoming and damp and wet on the first snow-fall of the season .

Some of the good & reasonable brands I have come across in the recent past are - Quechua and Kilimanajaro . Quechua are quite easily available in most Metro cities in India , they have good range and also available on all sizes . My friends who have been using it have also given good feed-back . Kilimanjaro is a relatively new brand and not that commonly available as of today but a good shoe & catching up .

Anyone on this forum who has uses Quechua and would want to give thier feedback .

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #461

Not about brands, but some tips that I found in an article on timesofindia.com. Thought this could be helpful-

1. Two common problems faced during treks - people using new shoes (not worn before) or people using shoes that are worn out. In both cases, you are in for serious trouble.

2. If you are planning to walk for hours at a stretch in a new pair of shoes and can't change them, avoid it as they can get uncomfortable. Use new shoes for shorter trips before heading out for that week-long extreme trek.

For most treks, normal sports shoes are what people often use. And if you go for a casual trek once in a while, cross trainers work really well.

3. However, for some treks through rough, uneven terrain, steep uphill or downhill, rainy or muddy weather it's better to wear trekking boots (thicker soles, weather proof). Avoid shoes that slip, are tight and are too fancy to wreck in the mud.

4. Always trial walk on a variety of surfaces - rough, smooth, marble, stony, wet, etc. to check the grip of the shoes and to avoid slipping.

5. If possible, buy trekking shoes in the evening when the feet are slightly bigger from standing all day.

6. The shoes should fit comfortably, that is there should be a soft cushioning around your feet so that the shoe neither grips them, nor rattles from the extra space.

7. For treks and situations where you are expected to do a lot of walking, thick soles work well. While some people prefer hard soles, many don't. You will need to find out from experience.

8. Keep cotton socks and plenty of them, please! You don't want to get those nice shoes to stink. You could also carry floaters or slippers but these can be worn only on the campsite. Both these can make trekking a comfortable experience.

9. Care for your shoes as you would care for a car. Checking condition, waterproofing, cleaning and other small bits of attention ensure that your shoes don't end up surprising you in a way you don't like when in action.
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #468

I am in the market for shoes too. This much I can say. There is no one good shoe. It really depends on what you are doing. Is it trekkin on really rough terrain, easy terrain trekking, climbing, if climbing what kind of climbing? Is there going to be a lot of snow?

For most trekking I have been using Vasque wasatch. They used to be great. But they have moved production to China and my last pair lasted me about a year, which totally sucks. I am now looking at Lowa for heavy duty trekking. These will also be good for most non technical climbs unless you are dealing with lots of snow. Once you are in cold areas you need insulated boots. This is where the La Sportivas and Scarpas come in. But they are quite expensive. Lowa does make a cheaper insulated mountaineering boot which has some reasonably good reviews on various web sites. But then the fear factor comes in. Do you want cheaper boots or do you want to keep your toes? :-)
  • Mog
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #471

I would suggest Quechua Forclaz 500 Ankle Length Trekking Shoes (By Decathlon) for all terrain trekking. A light weight, water resistant and durable shoe which may take you anywhere upto Everest Base Camp without any problems.

you can buy a pair online as well as sports shops around your city. flipkart and playgroundonline are selling them at around 4k.
Whic is reasonable for such a wonderful product

Forclaz-500.jpeg
  • paresh
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #479

Hi Mog,

Are Lowa shoes available in India , like the brand and have been looking for stores in India which might have them, but no luck ..

Re: Mountaineering/ Trekking Shoes 7 years, 3 months ago #481

Don't know if they ae available in India. Also dont know how many online sites ship to India.
  • Mog
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds