" I have noticed that youngsters given to the climbing habit usually do something when they grow up" -Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American editor, publisher and writer.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Equipment Rental in Leh

Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #469

Are there any good equipment rental places in Leh?
  • Mog
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #470

You may contact Rimo Expeditions in Leh they have a good equipment store. Not sure they rent equipment as IMF and NIM though. They are a commercial company and into organizing expeditions end to end.

But ye you may check with them If they can help you.
  • paresh
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #478

Hi,

I think Rimo is slightly expensive and they dont really rent out equipment unless you are a part of one of their expeditions .

Otherwise, Leh as a plenty of equipment shops which give out equipment on rent , These shops are located in the main Leh market only ( in 1 -2 kms vicinity of the main SBI ATM there ) . These are local shops and have a good range - So you would get everything from climbing shoes , to sleeping bags , to crampons , to butane stoves etc etc .

They rental prices are quite reasonable and competitive but the deposit is usually high , So if you are planning to take equipment on rent , its better to go to a shop with some one you know locally , like - your guide or some other local (like your hotel owner) , because of which the deposit can come down substantially .

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #480

Thats good to know. Some of this stuff can be pretty expensive. Do these guys also buy equipment from you? What if I but an ice axe and then after my trip want to sell it in Leh to one of these stores? I am guessing there might be a market for that too.
  • Mog
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #483

Hi Mog,

Yes you can buy stuff and then sell it back to them , but the market for that is not mature at all & what you would buy and sell back to them would typically go in pea-nut price's . So in my experience , if you want to sell it back to them anyways , that means you are not sure of using it in the future , then why by ? Might as well rent it only.

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #484

And yes you are right , some of this stuff can be expensive , so better to rent it . For eg. In my opinion , a good light and branded Ice-axe wont cost you less than 5 - 8 K INR . You would use it for a week or two and sell it back to them for something like a 2 K .

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #491

Idea behind buying was that this way I know for sure I have what I need rather than leaving it to chance at the rental place. On ebay some of this equipment is selling for pretty good value. So I may buy and if I dont need it again then sell on ebay.
  • Mog
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Equipment Rental in Leh 7 years, 3 months ago #495

Yes, you can do that , but in my experience you do get good equipment in Leh on hire . Yes the variety is limited as its rental .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds