" It's not advisable to drink too much strong liquors while climbing in the Alps. If, however, you are going to fall over a cliff, it's advisable to be thoroughly intoxicated when you do so." - English alpinist
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai

Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 7 years ago #657

Hello, where can you get quality mountaineering and trekking gear in Mumbai? Please let me know people!
  • maddy
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 7 years ago #658

• DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 6 years, 11 months ago #715

Hi, I know lots of places in Pune for adventure gear; for Mumbai know one shop in Borivali. I just have its contact no: 09892042704
  • Anant
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 6 years, 11 months ago #720

Recently in Mumbai, one of the biggest brands of Retail in the Sports Equipment segment has launched their showroom in Shop called DECATHLON. Do check out their website www.decathlon.in/ as it is extremely detailed and gives you an idea of the diversity of products they have to offer. The Address is Thane West, at the Hypercity/Big Mega Mart at Kasarwadi (Ghodbunder road) . Though this may seem a little far, its really worth a visit. Have fun shopping .

Re: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 6 years, 9 months ago #846

Decathlon mainly promotes its low and midrange stuff in India. Maddy requires stuff for mountaineering too? Simond hardware is ok I suppose. But apart from that, you may pass on Decathlon if you want to climb in the Mighty Himalayas. You can get by hiking in their apparel and footwear. Big mountain climbing would be PUSHING it.

I have many good friends in Decathlon, but I have to be honest.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Mountaineering/Trekking equipment in Mumbai 6 years, 9 months ago #847

Anybody who spends a reasonable amount of time in the mountains and comes across 'mountaineers', will notice that most climbers (alpinists or expeditioners - if that's a word), will not be found sporting Decathlon (Quechua) apparel or gear. (I am talking about Mountaineering in particular. As stated earlier, one may get by with hiking in Quechua stuff.)

One acquaintance of mine went as far as saying, "In the mountains, Quechua = CHEAP".

That said, there are certain articles which are good but are not being sold in India. I have used the Bionnassay 500 Hardshell and the Simond Alpinism 700 Trouser. Both fantastic and needless to say acquired from France (A friend was there on business). So yes, if you can somehow source their high end stuff, by all means, go for it; but if you are going to use the stuff being sold here in India, you better stick to trekking in the Sahyadris or 'Summer' Himalayan hikes.

Regards
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by jerrypothen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds