" Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as the sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms teir energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." -John Muir about Yosemite.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Down jacket and some other random stuff

Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #997

Hi guys,

I am new to the community, though not so new to the sport.
Looking to get few bits and bobs, wonder if any of you could help me.

I want to get
Down jacket- something similar to Rab neutrino endurance
Waterproof Bivi bag weighing under 500gms
A 3Mx3M waterproof lightweight tarp
A camping hammock preferably with sleeve to insert a mat
4-5 Season foam carry mat

Also does anyone know if there are any "Boil in a Bag meals" available online or in shops?

Any info on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1000

Rab Neutrino Endurance is possible. Will be expensive though.
Alternative - Wedze Doon Doon Xtra Warm (Probably warmer than the Neutrino Endurance; but also heavier)

Mattress: If its regular foam then 4 to 5 season is a misnomer. I believe self inflatable mattresses are the best option for cold conditions. C.A.M.P has a line called CAMP&Rest. Extremely light (under 700 gms), matrix foam and insulated. You have to get used to the orange color though.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1001

Thanks Jerry,
When you say expensive, what am I looking at?
Have to look into doon doon.
Even though I do have an Exped synmat 7,I am looking at a foam mat where the terrain will be rockier. The Exped can be a nightmare if it gets punctured. Hence using foam as base mat and will be putting Exped inside the sleeping bag. Also that stops the mat from slipping away.
Nonetheless I actually love orange.
Also do you know if there is anything I can use to make my gear UV proof, as don't want to ruin the kit with the amount of Sun it's going to get.
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1002

I checked with my guy. 24000 INR for the Neutrino Endurance. I would say not worth it. If you can source it through an acquaintance abroad, you can get it for a much better price.

Wedze Doon Doon might also be out of stock. Priced under 8k. But extremely warm.

A combo of foam+self inflatable is a good idea. I prefer just one layer of self inflatable since I am very careful. All sharp objects stay outside the tent. But one can never be too careful I guess. Most adventure shops should have something to suit your requirement. Just avoid wildcraft. Very porous.

UV proofing!! Most good tents are UV proof. If you are referring to treatment, my only issue with that is the odour.

Regards,
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1003

24000 is definitely not worth. Well the good thing is I am in London until end of October so can surely get it cheaper.
By UV proofing I meant Nikwax and stuff, all my rucksacks are nylon and nylon has bad UV resistance compared to polyester. So don't want the kit turning to flakes.

Thanks dude,

Regards
Ravi
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1004

No worries Ravi.

London? Try gooutdoors. Large outdoor retail chain.

They should have a good collection. And I know they have nikwax too (or something similar).
They have their own brand of insulated jackets called North Ridge. Good insulation for under 100 pounds. Not the best parka ever made, but will get the job done on most occasions.

Since you are there. Try the Trekmates flameless cook system. If a shop is selling that, they will also have boil in bags.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1005

The thing is, I have enough of that stuff but it won't last long and that is the reason I wanted to know if I can buy it again in India.
P. S I work in an outdoor shop here and weighing my options as don't want to buy and carry things that are available in India for same or cheaper price.

Ravi
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1006

The trekmates flameless cook system is cool but I am dubious about the availability of the heat packs anywhere else than UK.
I rather prefer the MSR XGK EX or Trangia for gourmet cooking and Pocket rocket for boil in bags.

Ravi
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1007

I am pretty sure you won't get any gear or apparel for the same or cheaper price in India. The best place for that is Thamel, Kathmandu. If a guy or agency is stocking such stuff HERE, they truly believe they have earned the right to fleece you.

True, sourcing the heat pack for the FCS could be tricky. I know for sure I picked some boil in stuff from Leh last month. A large variety for a medium sized team. I think one of the brands was NTR, and I am sure I also saw GITS. There were a couple of other brands too.

On a sidenote, its ironic that someone a.. living in London and b.. working at an outdoor shop should make an enquiry here. With the number of options you have there and all that. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1008

Well I was just thinking that the value of rupee against pound might make things cheaper. How silly of me, totally forgot to take the rip off traders into account.
Anyway thanks a ton mate for all the valuable information you shared.

Cheers
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1009

Don't mention Ravi.

I will keep checking about the other stuff on your list.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 8 months ago #1012

Thanks man, you are a star!
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 7 months ago #1023

Hi Ravi,

Sorry for the delay; I was a little preoccupied.
If you are still looking for the parka; I can arrange for the Simond Alpinism Thermal Insulation Jacket. The insulation doesn't come from down but from a synthetic filling called Stratermic© Insulation Layer. It weighs under 700 gms in Size M. So I wouldn't classify it as heavy. I will have to check the price but am pretty sure its around INR 6000 or so, definitely under 7k.

Just fyi ..
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 7 months ago #1032

Thanks for getting back matey.
I will give the parka a miss this time, no more moolah left. :(
The thing is I don't need it but surely want it. You probably understand what I mean.
Anyway thanks once again.

Ravi
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 7 months ago #1033

No worries Ravi. I can totally see where you are coming from. ;)

Its a good one though. Check it out on the Simond Europe site, just so you know about it. If you ever consider an (or should I say, another) insulating layer in future, perhaps this might be a contender.

Have a good one, :)
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Down jacket and some other random stuff 6 years, 7 months ago #1036

Thanks man, have already checked out the Frenchies! it's not bad but don't need it now.
I will let you know should I require it.
Thanks again!
  • Ravi1408
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds