" MEN WANTED-or Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of successT - Ernest Shackleton's 1914 Ad
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are there rescue courses here in India?

Are there rescue courses here in India? 7 years, 9 months ago #106

I think doing a basic course in rescue will always come in handy.

What all do they teach in that course?

Is there some sort of a course around Pune?

Is there something that can be arranged closer to Pune?

I am sure there will be a lot of people who would be willing to learn.
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Are there rescue courses here in India? 7 years, 9 months ago #111

Check out "IMF First Responder Course on Advanced First Aid" in our Events section. Not exactly what you are looking for, but just an example of the types of courses conducted by IMF in Delhi. I dont think such courses are available in or around Pune, if we come across anything we'll surely publish that information here.

Re: Are there rescue courses here in India? 7 years, 9 months ago #114

yes, NIM and HMI do conduct course for search and rescue annually. Its a 21 days course and candidate need to have acquired A grade in Advance Mountaineering course

here is what NM site says about it:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Search & Rescue Course

Search & Rescue Course has been introduced as regular course to be conducted once in a year since December 1992.

Trainees graded 'A' only in the Advance Mountaineering Course from NIM, HMI Darjeeling, JIM Pehalgam, ITBP training Auli, MAS Manali and SGMI, Gangtok are eligible for this course.

The course covers Search & Rescue operations in the Himalayas with particular reference to Rescue techniques on rock, snow and ice, First-aid, Mountain Navigation, Radio Telephony, Liaison with various organizations and their involvement during Rescue operations, Audio and Visual communication Signals and evacuation methods including use of helicopters.

The course is primarily intended to assist the hill district authorities and other organizations to establish their own Search & Rescue cells. NIM is presently the only institute in India conducting this course.

-----------------------------------------------

No such course is around pune that I have heard of.
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Are there rescue courses here in India? 7 years, 8 months ago #118

Hi People,

To do mountaineering you have to go to the mountains !! So ya , there are no course's like this around Pune . For any budding / keen mountaineer , a basic course from HMI Darjeeling / Manali or NIM is a must .
As a part of the basic course also , they teach you a lot of basic mountain rescue / self arrest technique's , safe climbing technique's etc etc , which are quite handy .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds