" You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place - Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know." -Ren-aumal.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles

Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 8 months ago #150

I have been working out in the gym, with weights, to increase the strength in my muscles.
Training in the gym/home gym is very important and should be clubbed with cardiovascular exercises.
I have done some research and on the basis of this research is how I came up with this workout for myself.
Of course there are various other thoughts of school as to how one should go about training.
I thought I will share my workout with you guys. I would love to hear from you all as to what you think.

Day 1 (3 sets of each)
Warm up exercises (should not be skipped)
Cycling or running or rowing (5-10 mins)
Squats
Leg press
Calf Raises
Lateral Pull-down
Lateral Pull-up
Bench Press
Bent over Row
Seated Row
Shoulder Press
Internal Shoulder Rotation
External Shoulder Rotation
Back Extension
Crunches
Stretches (very important again, and should not be skipped)

Day 2 (3 sets of each)
Warm up exercises
Cardio-vascular like running or cycling or rowing or cross trainer (for 30 mins)
Squats
Deadlift
Bench Press
Reverse Wrist curl
Leg Press
Stiff legged Deadlift
Side Bends in hanging position
Side leg raises in hanging position
Stretches

Day 3 (3 sets of each)
Warm up exercises
Cardio-vascular exercises like running or cross trainer or rowing or cycling (for 30 mins)
Front Squat
Sumo Deadlift
Incline Bench Press
Seated Row
Seated Leg Curl
Sit-ups with feet on a bench
Hanging leg raises
Stretches

Day 4 (3 sets of each)
Warm up exercises
Cardio-vascular exercises for 40 minutes
Crunches
Side Bridges
Twist crunch
Back Extension
Hanging leg raises
Stiff leg deadlift
Planks
Push ups
Reverse Crunches
Machine Oblique Crunches (or free style as in without machine)
Lateral Flex on Overhead cable
Stretches

Day 5 (3 sets of each)
Warm up exercises
Cardio-vascular exercises
Side Bends
Hanging leg raises
Sit-ups with feet on a bench
Push-ups
Chin-ups with overhand grip
Reverse chin-ups
Triceps dip
Squat against a wall
Floor hip extension
Leg abduction
Biceps curl
Hammer curl
Lateral arm raise
Upright row
Stretches

Day 6
Warm up exercises
Run for about an hour with varying pace
Stretches

Day 7
Climb/trek hills/mountains with a small pack and gradually increase weight and then climb/trek

If you want to work out your lower on one day and upper body on another day then do the following

Lower body exercises
Lying leg curl
Dumbbell Lunge
One legged standing calf raise using dumbbell
Seated Leg curl
Barbell lunge
One legged seated calf raise using weight plate
One legged deadlift
Reverse step up
Squats
Leg Press
Static Lunges
Kettle ball swings
Hamstring curl
Hip abduction
Calf raises
Front Squat
Overhead squat
Push press
Deadlift
Sumo deadlift

Upper body exercises
Machine tricep extension
Front arm raise
Lateral dumbbell raise
One arm dumbbell row
Bench Press
Lateral pull down
Hammer curl
Reverse wrist curl
Incline Bench Press
Seated Row
Concentration curl
Wrist curl
Dumbbell tricep extension
Bent over lateral raise
Upright row
Bent over row
Pull up
Rear Delt row
Bench Press
Push ups
Fly
Dips
Shoulder press
Internal shoulder rotation
External shoulder rotation
Curl and press
Wrist curl
Reverse curl
Finger hangs
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 8 months ago #159

Hey Buffy Fish,

Thanks for sharing your gym recommended weight training routine for climbers. I hate to play devil's advocate, but I am one of those old fashioned climbers who strongly feel that a 7 day gym routine is a very bad idea for preparing for the mountains. I am more in favor of an outdoor approach to training for climbing as I strongly feel that in order to train for a particular terrain, it is extremely important to simulate that terrain. There are some extremely well documented articles on the net pertaining to muscle memory and stress training used by triathlon & heptathlon athletes. A weight training regiment like the one you have suggested, won't leave you with any energy to get outside at all . :)

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #340

Hello ascentorumdoodle,

Thank you. I actually have taken up your advice and resorted to outdoor training.

I was looking for a coach for a few months but no one was really helpful.
But then in my own backyard, with the help of the internet, I came across this outdoor training institute in Pune, called the Jumping Gorillas, in Chandni Chowk.
If you are based in Pune, you should go check it out.

I have started training with them and have been working out outdoors.
The coach there makes me run up and down the hill, makes me sprint with weights, and makes me do things that I had never done. And at the end of the day, a new muscle in my body pains, of course in a good way.
I really like their approach and I can see my body responding.
I am nowhere close to being fit is what I realised, even though I was working out in the gym.
In the long run, this new regime should yield some results as far as fitness goes.
I hope I follow this new found routine for years to come.

- Buffyfish
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #342

Hey,

That's really great to hear. A friend of mine also recommended just keepin one day in the week for trekking with a pack of 10-15 kgs . It gives you a very realistic feel of what is expected of you. I recently came across this very good exercise workout routine which is short ( about 35 minutes) , fun ( mixing various workouts like a warm up , power yoga and mixed martial arts), and exhausting ( without leaving you depleted ) Its called the P90 Sweat and Sculp routine . Check it out and I'm sure you'll enjoy it .

Cheers

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #349

hey BuffyFish, checked out there website. http://jumpinggorilla.com/. looks interesting.
Can you share some more of your own experiences?
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #351

Hi,

Had a chance to go through their website and take a look at it . Looks like a very good way to get fit for beginners, but not too sure that will be sufficient for High altitude training . Just my opinion

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #354

Hi Skorpion

I have been going there for a week now.
The trainers are in their early 20s and started "Jumping Gorilla" a few years ago.

They are located near Chandni Chowk. From their property, hey have access to an entire hill called "Mhatoba garh" on which I have been training. This hill further connects to Chaturshringi hill, MIT College hill etc.

The trainer makes me jog for a bit. When there is a slight uphill, I have to sprint. I have to try and sprint all the uphills on that hill.
The other day at a stretch, I jogged and sprinted for 5 kms in total. It was super fun but I was super exhausted and because I was unfit got cramps in my right calf muscles. But the trainer assured me that within a month all these cramps will disappear.

So I am actually undergoing training for athletics. That is what the trainers there said when I joined them. I am getting trained for endurance and stamina building in the first one-one and a half month.
Once I work on my stamina and lose a little weight, my trainer will work on agility and flexibility.

I Know this sort of training is nothing like what I have done before.
Infact the trainer had asked me if there were more people I could find for my sessions with him. That way there will be a spirit of competitiveness as well.
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #355

I forgot to mention - One day the trainer made me wear a jacket with 10kilo plates in it. I learned how to sprint properly with the correct posture and run about a 100 meters. He made me do 10 rounds of 100 meters. My legs wouldnt lift up properly and hands wouldnt move from my shoulder. But I corrected that 4 rounds and then for the remaining 6 rounds I was sprinting properly.
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #356

Hi Ascenttorumdoodle,

Don't go by what the website says. I think it is really old and yeah I was not impressed by it either. They need to redo it big time
I would say, the trainers are quite capable of training anyone in athletics, because of the outdoor space that they have access to. They are quite fit.
What allured me to go to visit them was the hill behind their property.
Well I agree this is not enough for high altitude training. How should I tackle that issue? What all would I need to do?

BuffyFish
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Weight Training for Strengthening muscles 7 years, 5 months ago #360

Hey,

THanks for the update. With respect to Altitude training, from what I've read and what people have shared with me, Swimming is one of the best exercises. It allows you to get a full body work out, with out overtly straining your muscle groups, and also allows you to train by ensuring you regulate your breathing. It also gives you an opportunity to train under reduced oxygen content, thus allowing you to train your muscles for endurance and stamina. Again, just my opinion .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds