" Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous." -Reinhold Messner.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fitness preperation

Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #981

Can you guys share your fitness program that you go through before any serious hikes/climbs/treks?

I personally go for running, cycling and climbing stairs 1.5 months before the climb.

But would love to know how you guys prepare(in detail).
Like Diet , do u plan any?in terms of carbohydrate and protein intake etc

Cheers,
Satya
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #988

Hey ,

Interesting topic Thread . . . Look forward to reading some good work out pointers . . . On a related note, remember, someone had posted a Gym Fitness workout regime.

www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/13-tech...ing-muscles.html#356

This should help a bit . . . i think . .

CHeers

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #994

I am active on a daily basis like playing tennis or swimming but close to a trek i usually up my cardio (swimming/running/stepper) and stair climbing routine

For eg run on the tredmill for 40min & stepper for 20min and climb 20 floors in the morning & swim 1 km in the evening... this is on a daily basis before a trek
  • amarshah
  • Junior Boarder
---------------------------------------------
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.

amards.blogspot.com/
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by amarshah.

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #995

Same as above: fitness has been a way of life, have been running regularly since I was 18 (and was generally active like any other kid before that), and I already train as much as I can within the time, work and family commitments that I have. What more can I do to train for a big hike or climb or a race? I anyway do a combination of running, pushups, sprints,strairs, rope climbing, artificial wall climbing etc spread over the week, and weekend hikes and rock-climbing, so there is nothing really to be gained by doing anything specific (regular climbing started 3 years back, but other stuff I have been doing my whole life, albeit in varying degrees of seriousness).

In other words, I am not super-fit, but I am already close to my potential max for the amount of time I am willing to invest in fitness. Rotation among various exercises has kept me injury free till date (turning 40 next year), and that is extremely important for me. All other activities (including climbing) are of instrumental value to me.

However, based on my exploratory trip to Ladakh this year, I realized two specific things that could perhaps help me do better in the Himalayas:

1. I am crap at carrying load (have always preferred a light and fast approach, which suits my light body type also), which won't work for Himalayas, so I recently started carrying a large weighted pack during weekend hikes with the family (slows me down to their pace and everyone is happy)

2. My Haemoglobin level is on the lowest end of normal range. Next time I head high altitude I will up my Hb level by consuming extra iron rich food. I thought it might perhaps help in acclimatization (but again only minor potential for improvement likely, as I already have a decent nutrition).
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Loneranger.

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #996

Climbing stairs daily (increasing numbers of stairs gradually), long walk of 5 km atleast daily and cycling for 80 km (once in week) would keep body fit.. Morning yoga (breathing) would certainly help to get acumalitization smoothly..

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #1014

I agree with most of the above points . For me personally :

-- Start taking stairs : Be it office or home , there is no dearth of high rise buildings in out cities . It does help in the long run .

-- Start running : on some uphill patches , this changes the dynamics completely . Most of us are comfortable with flat running , but 10 - 15 mins if up-hill running helps big time .

-- For carrying loads : Hit the gym for 2 -3 months and build muscle and try going for walks ( 2-3 kms) with heavy back-packs .

-- Avoid Junk : Go heavy on proteins and carbs .

Re: Fitness preperation 4 years, 2 months ago #1015

Awesomeeee, thanks for the valuable input :) I have to start preparing for Aconcagua now :) Bought the tickets today .... feeling excited!!!!
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds