" When the going gets tough, the tough get going." -Old saying.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another fatal accident

Another fatal accident 6 years ago #1088

www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/...ng-Kanchenjunga.html

The media, predictably, doesn't even bother to name the actual mountaineers, while describing the client as a "leading mountaineer", but I heard from a friend: "Dawa Sherpa was one of the two sherpas guiding Chhanda when the avalanche hit. Dawa was one of a team of 4 crack alpinists headed by Phurba Sherpa. Phurba's team has fixed ropes and handheld more summiteers than can be counted .They have been the driving force that placed numerous civilian and defence teams (including instructors from our top mountaineering institutes) on top. Phurba's team and two other sherpas ,Gyalbo and Pasang remain silent spectators while their clients narrate tales of bravery . And enjoy the awards and accolades. They get paid Rs 20,000/- per person to fix ropes and assist clients to the summit and down safely. I salute these true mountaineers."

May all three souls rest in peace, their families, especially those of the two talented mountaineers, get adequate compensation, and hope the climbing community learns some useful lessons from the tragedy.
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Loneranger.

Accident on Mont Blanc 5 years, 9 months ago #1093

• trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds