" Climbing is the lazy man's way to enlightenment. It forces you to pay attention, because if you don't, you won't succeed, which is minor -or you may get hurt, which is major. Instead of years of meditation, you have this activity that forces you to relax and monitor your breathing and tread that line between living and dying. When you climb, you always are confronted with the edge. Hey, if it was just like climbing a ladder, we all would have quit a long time ago." -Duncan Ferguson.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Indian Mountaineers!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buffer Day

Buffer Day 2 years, 4 months ago #1133

Is it really necessary to keep a buffer day after the Everest Base Camp trek in Lukla ? And why ?
  • avinash093
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Buffer Day 2 years, 4 months ago #1134

Hi avinash093, keeping a buffer day is advised in Lukla because flights going to Lukla tend to get cancelled 50% of the times because of bad weather and high wind speed. If the pilot feels the wind speeds have gone up while flying towards Lukla, they don't take a chance but turn the flight back to Kathmandu.
Also Lukla airport is declared the most dangerous airport in the world with an airstrip of around 450 m.
  • PrashantV
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Buffer Day 2 years, 4 months ago #1135

It is important to keep a buffer day in Lukla airport as the weather in the mountains cannot be predicted. It is advised to book your international fight keeping a buffer day in Lukla as weather keeps on changing and there's a possibility that all the flights before yours took off and yours didn't because of bad weather or high wind speeds.
In my experience i spent one day and a half extra at Lukla because none of the flights took off on the day when we were supposed to fly out and the next day our flight went back halfway because it turned too cloudy. Luckily it came back at three, delaying by 5 hours.
I would suggest don't take a chance, keep a buffer day.

Re: Buffer Day 2 years, 4 months ago #1144

Hello avinash,
While it is not mandatory to keep a buffer day on your pocket, most experienced trekker would recommend you to have one or two buffer days. The weather in those areas can become nasty in just few moments. So I advise you to have buffer day(s). If you're unsure of your trip itinerary, you can check this out: nepalecoadventure.com/nepal-trekking/eve...-base-camp-trekking/
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by ChhatraKarki.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds