" Many years ago, I climbed the mountains, even thought it is forbidden. Things are not as they teach us; the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky." -From a dying Star Trek character.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Indian Mountaineers!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: aspiring mountaineer

aspiring mountaineer 2 years ago #1150

Hello Every one,

I am Adithya and I am an aspiring mountaineer looking to meeting to meet like minded people and a mentor here.

I work for a cooperate company and i am looking to pursue mountaineering as an alternative career.

I am looking at these website
www.nimindia.net
pnsmti.org
www.iismgulmarg.in
www.jawaharinstitutepahalgam.com/

But they all seem to be full till 2018 :(

I am also looking for a buddy if we can apply together in 2017 for the next available batch.

Thanks,
Last Edit: 2 years ago by adithyakhamithkar.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1158

Hey buddy,

You can forget about NIM. Its impossible to get into NIM. Well! Almost. :p

Your best bet are JIM Pahalgam, DMAS Manali or HMI Darjeeling. Quality of instruction is better at HMI. The approach Hike is a pain in the bottom for a beginner. Infrastructure was not so good ten to fifteen years back. But hopefully it is better now. Especially accommodation.... I hope.

Getting into JIM should not be a problem. PM me once you have decided to do the basic course. I'll see if there is someone I can talk to among the staff.

If you are into outdoor stuff, then I don't see the logic in waiting till 2018. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1162

Hey really thanks for the reply,

I did also write to JIM and got a reply.

They have admissions open from April 2017 onward, I am just waiting for my leave to be approved by my company so that I can apply.

I would really like some help in getting in touch with someone who has already been there, Just to know the process of applying.

I'll leave my email in a PM

Thanks again!

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1163

Hey Aditya,

Firstly, what do you aspire to do. If it's hiking in the sahayadris or niligiris or even the himalayan foothills to begin with and gradually move on to arduous Hikes over treacherous passes and remote Himalayan locales, then you gotta ask yourself if you really wanna spend a month at a mountaineering institute learning skills that you are never gonna use and in the process piss off your boss and wife/girlfriend.

Jokes aside, for hiking in the Himalayas a regular adventure course at the aforementioned institutes should be more than sufficient. In my opinion, for such trips, a more appropriate course along with the adventure course I mentioned, would be the wilderness first response course organised by NOLS. Highly recommended.

But if you wanna delve into mountain climbing, and have given it serious thought, and are sure that you're not gonna stop at Stok Kangri, which for 95% of our mountain school populace is the culmination of their mountaineering endeavors, then by all means go for it.

Reason I bring up Stok Kangri is because if that is what someone has in mind, then a mountaineering course can be done without. Any reasonably competent guide can safely organise the trip for you over 4 to 7 days depending on your fitness and acclimatisation. Heck if I am there I could take you there for free, if I am feeling generous. ;)

Back to the point. I have been to JIM. A good mix of civilian and army instructors. Army instructors are HAWS trained and I could bet my life on their skills. I would still rate NIM and HMI much higher. I did some skiing about ten years back with JIM. And I know a few people who have done their mountaineering courses from JIM. Crappy climbers in my opinion. But that is no reflection of the instructional skills. I am an alumnus of HMI, but I know of quite a few crapsters from there too. So you see? Being crappy is no indicator of instructional skills at our mountain schools.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ps: if you are gonna climb mountains, start acquiring quality mountain apparel and technical gear. I mean if you seriously wanna do it. Slowly acquiring stuff affords you the luxury of choosing at your own convenience and also allows you to spend a little at a time instead of having to splurge lakhs at once. I mention this because quality apparel and equipment is freaking expensive.

Note... Anything that has the words Decathlon or Quechua on it should not be a part of your pack.
Regards
JP

adithyakhamithkar wrote:
Hey really thanks for the reply,

I did also write to JIM and got a reply.

They have admissions open from April 2017 onward, I am just waiting for my leave to be approved by my company so that I can apply.

I would really like some help in getting in touch with someone who has already been there, Just to know the process of applying.

I'll leave my email in a PM

Thanks again!
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1164

PPS: I personally have not done the wfr course because it doesn't quite work for me. But my friend is an instructor at NOLS and we talk about stuff that is taught in their courses especially the wfr. It would be criminal on my behalf to withhold that information from people regardless of my reservations about attending such a course.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1165

Hey,

I know exactly what your talking about, I am every familiar with the language you use and i get the tone when you say. I have studied in an army school and I was in NCC as well. I have some experience with artificial rock climbing as well.
I used to follow this mission Everest national geographic and I had a Canadian friend from work who was a part time mountaineer he had summited in Ural mountains and Kilimanjaro, he had an ambition to summit at Everest.
Dwelling in the mountains sounds very exciting may be some day i might do it. But before that I need learn the ways of the mountain and to make money to get up there.
I am just waiting for the right time and the right opportunity to get started as a part timer.
The day i make up my mind I'll live up there.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 10 months ago #1166

Well in that case

Welcome to the family. :p
HMI, NIM, JIM and DMAS etc are all equipped to impart the skills required to do a mountaineering expedition. Especially in the Himalayas. NIM is way ahead in my opinion as far as infrastructure and course content are concerned. But don't waste time waiting for your turn. It may not be your turn for 3 (even more) years.

If you get an opportunity to do the course from HMI or JIM, then go for it. You don't have to have all the equipment for the basic course because you will be provided these things during your course by the institute. But carrying a few articles like a Balaclava (instead of the one given by the institutes), a sleeping bag liner, a few good pairs of socks, base layers, good hiking shoes, warm mitts (or at least mitt liners) (the institutes do provide mitts, but a spare will keep you warm at camp and allow your work mitts to dry up), walking poles, water bottle and mess tin makes sense. The institute may give you some of these items, but it is better to have your own for hygiene concerns. Your body will be belching out tons of dirt and germs as it is, you don't want dirt and germs belonging to others as well. Lol...

Just because you don't have to take your personal gear and clothing to the course, doesn't mean you shouldn't already start buying. :)

Best wishes.

adithyakhamithkar wrote:
Hey,

I know exactly what your talking about, I am every familiar with the language you use and i get the tone when you say. I have studied in an army school and I was in NCC as well. I have some experience with artificial rock climbing as well.
I used to follow this mission Everest national geographic and I had a Canadian friend from work who was a part time mountaineer he had summited in Ural mountains and Kilimanjaro, he had an ambition to summit at Everest.
Dwelling in the mountains sounds very exciting may be some day i might do it. But before that I need learn the ways of the mountain and to make money to get up there.
I am just waiting for the right time and the right opportunity to get started as a part timer.
The day i make up my mind I'll live up there.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 6 months ago #1181

hi friends i am also looking for a institute to do a basic mountaineering course in India, and by now i have inquired some institutes, admissions in NIM & HMI are not possible for the year 2017 and also i don't want to wait till 2018 for BMC to be completed. I am planning to do my BMC as well as AMC by the end of 2017, so only institutes with good rep left for me are ABVIMAS & JIM, confused which one to select, also the admission price in ABVIMAS is double as compared to the other institutes.
  • kunal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • HOLA!!!

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 6 months ago #1183

Hey Kunal,

NIM .... Highly difficult to get a spot.
HMI .. One used to be able to call even a month before the course. Guess 2017 is already full. But the instruction is really good there. A good mix of civil and army staff. There is a good chance you'll be trained by acclaimed climbers who have done tons of tough climbing.

I have been to HMI and JIM a number of times. JIM is not the worst idea. I'd say go for it. You can PM me for specific queries. I don't mind making a call in case you face obstacles. But most times you'll get through without any problems. If there are security concerns in Kashmir around the time of the course, then go for DMAS. It can't be bad. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 6 months ago #1184

thanks Jerry, i also wanted to do it from NIM or HMI but both seems off the table because of the seat availability, will phone HMI once again to ask if they can make a seat available for this year otherwise it's JIM or DMAS, will PM you and let you know how things took place and thanks for your concern!!!
  • kunal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • HOLA!!!

Re: aspiring mountaineer 1 year, 6 months ago #1188

Yes! That would be the ideal way to go about it.
Call up HMI and find out if they can accommodate you. My basic course vacancy was 50 officially. But to my utter surprise we had 90 candidates (including 3 foreigners and 8 Nepalis). This was many years ago. Don't know if they still do such stuff. But it's worth a shot.

FYI.. The HMI trek to the training area In Sikkim is amazing. The basic course approach hike is spread over 4 days and is quite possibly one of the toughest treks you'll do.

But if you don't get in... Don't lose heart. I am sure JIM or DMAS will impart the skills to you just as well.

Cheer up!
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds