" I send my warmest congratulations to you and to the other members of the Italian team, who have achieved such a splendid mountaineering feat on Mt McKinley." -President Kennedy to Riccardo Cassin in 1961.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Indian Mountaineers!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: A wannabe climber from Bangalore

A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1198

Hello all,

My name is Arun and I currently reside in Bangalore. I came across this forum last week and there is a lot of information in these threads so joined immediately.

I have almost zero technical climbing experience but have done a fair amount of trekking. My dream is to climb Deo Tibba or Nun by 2020.

Also since the equipments for mountaineering are constantly on the upgrade, I would also request all the senior climbers to keep lettting us know of the good deals they come across.

Thats about it for now. Hopefully the forum (and mountaineering in India) is much more alive in the upcoming days!

Cheers
Arun

Re: A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1199

Hi Arun,

Refreshing to hear someone who refrains from following the Everest crowd!! To each his own I suppose.
You have set very realistic goals. Deo Tibba is definitely not a problem peak provided you have the weather on your side. Nun will need a lot of hardwork. The sister peak Kun is even more challenging than Nun. That's that.

There are so many hundreds of thousands of peaks in the Indian Himalayas. Keep exploring instead of aiming to make ridiculous records such as "first person to do this or that".

As for skills. I think Bangalore has a good rock climbing culture. I hope you can meet up with like minded people. Mountaineering of course involves rock, snow and ice craft. A basic course in one of our mountaineering institutes such as HMI or JIM will only help you in your endeavors.

Equipment. How do you mean deals. Forget about even getting desired gear in India let alone a good deal :). Deals is a misnomer. Even getting the desired stuff is better than getting a deal on the crappy stuff that is sold in India. I've been acquiring mountaineering and skiing gear for myself and my acquaintances for years. Trust me it is a mammoth effort getting stuff here. Good stuff I mean.

A word of caution. Since mountaineering is a passion sport, the gear you use must be good. Something you're passionate about. So don't waste your money on Quechua/Decathlon stuff. Better to save up and buy good gear, apparel etc.

Let us know if you have any more concerns.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1200

Hi Jp,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have read quite a lot of your posts in this forum and found them quite informative.

I have grown out of Decathlon products mainly because they never seem to last. I am on the lookout for the below:

1. Bag that can carry a tent and sleeping bag / bivouac. Should I look for 70L?
2. A lightweight Ice axe
3. A pair of crampons

I am entirely sure that I will be in this field for long, so I want to buy these for myself instead of renting it. Can you suggest any places online/shops where I can have a look?

Many thanks!

Re: A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1201

Hey Arun,

Am glad you find the posts on the forum useful.
I totally agree with your comment about Decathlon. Their articles are not suited for extreme adventures. Least of all for solo ascents.

Since you're sure that you're gonna be involved in the sport for a long time to come, I would advise you to go for good quality gear. The recent trend in the field is light and fast. I for one am a great advocate of the "light is fast" philosophy. If it suits you, you may invest in tough Ultralight gear. Most name commercial brands make heavy duty stuff. But some of the lesser known brands make the most innovative gear and apparel.

As for your specific requirements,
A sleeping bag and a tent may be accommodated in a sack of any capacity be it 50 or 70L. It just depends on the weight and size of the sleeping bag and tent. A lightish axe and a crampon should not be a problem either. Adventure18, Lharje etc used to keep some stuff but they used to be exorbitantly priced. Of course lately even they have resorted to selling cheap stuff like Decathlon, Coleman, coghlans etc.

Since advertisements are not ethical on such forums, I recommend you PM me. I do import stuff for my expeditions and solo adventures and for my acquaintances. Perhaps some of the hardware and apparel might be of interest to you.

A word of advise, and I do this too; it is advisable to always buy new stuff as backup. It prolongs the life of your gear and helps keep your stuff in top shape. So if you have a rucksack, it's advisable to keep a spare one handy. It's best to have two tents as opposed to one. Two or three axes as opposed to just one or two. Etc etc.

Hope this helps.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jerrypothen.

Re: A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1202

hola every1, i m from nagpur, my name is kunal, my mountaineering journey is about to begin from this year, my BMC course is going to start from April and just can't wait for it!!!
  • kunal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • HOLA!!!

Re: A wannabe climber from Bangalore 1 year ago #1203

kunal wrote:
hola every1, i m from nagpur, my name is kunal, my mountaineering journey is about to begin from this year, my BMC course is going to start from April and just can't wait for it!!!

Hi Kunal. Where are you headed. Hope you have a great time learning new skills. Don't have to take all the equipment and apparel to the course; you will be provided that by the institute (assuming you're going to one of the govt subsidised courses). But it makes sense to carry personal mitts, sleeping bag liner, base layers, water bottle, mess tin etc. This is strictly for hygiene reasons. You don't want stuff that's been on others touching your skin. :) I know I wouldn't.

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jerrypothen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds