" To qualify for mountain rescue work, you have to pass our test. The doctor holds a flashlight to your ear. If he can see light coming out the other one, you qualify." - Willy Pfisterer
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Indian Mountaineers!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: regarding mountaineering as proffession

regarding mountaineering as proffession 8 months, 1 week ago #1209

how mountaineers get sponsorship to do big big expeditions?

and is mountaineering good to adopt as profession also

Re: regarding mountaineering as proffession 8 months ago #1219

Jatin,

Your question is misplaced.
Before talking about professionally taking up something, you have to know if you're passionate about it.

I would advise you to atleast do a few treks, or Hikes, join climbing workshops or do a basic mountaineering or adventure course to see if you're cut out for this stuff.

To address your query, one has to be a really skilled and tough climber to be sponsored. A lot of climbers are also from affluent backgrounds and don't give a rat's bottom about finances. A few are extremely passionate, who work hard for a few months of the year and then fund their own climbs. In all three cases, skill is a common denominator.

So hone your skills before you start worrying about funding climbs.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 8 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: regarding mountaineering as proffession 8 months ago #1220

You are right. Passion is the most vital concept of mountaineering. You are in it for the pleasure of exploring and competing against your own body. If that a turn on for you then mountain is your playground.

While I agree that basic courses are good for a headstart, in some cases it may not be the case. Myself and bunch of others boys I know are pro mountaineers but without any technical certification. We just backpack. trek and climb as is work wise required. Some wants to learn in a raw deal of nature, not in training schools.

And nobody is funding a novice. My friend has been lookin for Everest sponsorship for 2 years and have barely collected a dime. And he is quite an expert with several 6000/7000 peaks under his belt.
  • yogendra
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: regarding mountaineering as proffession 8 months ago #1221

yogendra wrote:
You are right. Passion is the most vital concept of mountaineering. You are in it for the pleasure of exploring and competing against your own body. If that a turn on for you then mountain is your playground.

While I agree that basic courses are good for a headstart, in some cases it may not be the case. Myself and bunch of others boys I know are pro mountaineers but without any technical certification. We just backpack. trek and climb as is work wise required. Some wants to learn in a raw deal of nature, not in training schools.

And nobody is funding a novice. My friend has been lookin for Everest sponsorship for 2 years and have barely collected a dime. And he is quite an expert with several 6000/7000 peaks under his belt.

Hi yogendra,

I think you are mistaking me. If you have the spunk to go out there and gain skills required to ascend Himalayan peaks then hats off to you. But to advise everyone to do the same is not wise. I am not trying to start a debate. All I am saying is that someone who is totally oblivious to the rigours of big mountain ascents is better of joining a basic mountaineering course to get a taste for the mountains and if he thinks this is what he is going to do for the rest of his life then may be advanced course too. Eg relevant to this post started by Jatin, if you or I would advise him to just pick a bag and go climb a slab, that would be insane and unreasonable. Don't get me wrong.

Do these courses teach you everything ... No.
After the course one has to visit and revisit the mountains and expand ones horizons. Unfortunately most of our mountain school alumni are either satisfied with stok kangri or run pillar to pole to manage a free trip to Everest where the poor Sherpa does all the work and a new everester is added to the long list of "firsts". Lol

I made a promise to myself ten years back, that I will stay away from this insanity. When you hear of the adventures of Meissner, Vic Saunders, Andy Parkins, Joe Simpson it really makes me wonder about the kind of climbing we Indians do.

Back to the point in question. Whether you learn your skills from an institute or from a mentor. Skill is paramount. The reason I suggested Jatin to get himself to subscribe to a course is because most mentors charge a lot. I have British friends who private tutor and charge £250 a day. Compare that to the INR 5000 one pays for a 28 day course at HMI. Things will fall in perspective.

HMI and NIM and JIM have a terrific mix of army and civilian instructors. HMI also has several legendary everesters in the staff.

Besides I did also mention what you suggested. If you read my whole post, I did also advise Jatin to get to the mountains , hike , meet like minded people etc. Thinking about making money out of something you know nothing about reeks of ...... I don't know. But it definitely implies not much passion. No offense to Jatin. (He is a good friend of mine :))
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 8 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: regarding mountaineering as proffession 7 months, 3 weeks ago #1222

This is not just for Jatin or Yogendra in particular. Anyone intending to take up mountaineering as a profession, might wanna give this a glance.

I often talk to this gentleman from New Zealand now settled in Europe (not gonna name names). He was an accomplished Alpinist in the 80's-90's. He then delved into designing and selling Alpine packs and shelters and apparel and has been selling outdoor stuff ever since.

We often talk about his climbing days...
I am attaching a couple of excerpts..

Point is that one doesn't have to know where the next meal is coming from. Or when the next pay check is. It's about passion. Ask yourself if you have the passion for alpinism or mountaineering or skiing or climbing or whatever discipline it is that interests you. If you feel you have the passion then take that leap of faith. Of course those that play it safe, take up a profession and are content with a trip every one or two years are in no way to be looked down upon. TO EACH HIS OWN!!!

_20170203_105248.jpg

And one more snapshot..

_20170203_105307.jpg

FYI.... A squat is an occupation of an empty building.

This post is not meant to steer you toward a certain lifestyle. It is just meant to point out that some of the best climbers (and my friend was really good) were not discouraged by financial adversity. If anything the adversity propelled them further towards their dreams.

Because they had this strong will... They even took up bum jobs to pay for their own trips and in the process did some of the most amazing Himalayan climbing ... I often read about my friends climbs on the alpine journal.....
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by jerrypothen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds