" The best climber in the world is the one who's having the most fun." - Alex Lowe
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Indian Mountaineers!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas

Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 11 months ago #667

• Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Loneranger.

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 11 months ago #670

Hi Loneranger,

Welcome to the forum :-) and thanks for the detailed introduction. Looking at your experience I would also say welcome to the Sahyadris and Himalaya. I am sure you will find this forum useful and hoping that with your experience you will help other as well :). Keep in touch. Forum is new but catching up. Feel free to post replys and create topics as you might have many questions about climbing in India.

Regards,
Admin
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas a 4 years, 9 months ago #725

Loneranger, interesting photos and great accounts of your climb. have you done any courses? Any plans for Himalaya this year? I am from Pune I have sent you PM please check and we can chat.

~himank
  • himank
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #728

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Himank,
I am already done with 2013 Himalayas. I went to Leh for 3 weeks in May-June. Actually plan was to finish the fourth week by climbing Hanuman or Deo Tibba near Manali with a friend, but had to cut short the trip because I fell ill during the third week while doing the Markha Valley trek. As I had expected/feared, I was not too good carrying load (had packed over 15 kgs, with axe and crampons thinking I would solo an easy peak at Nimaling), and suffered at altitude, in hindsight I should have drunk a lot more water too. No regrets, I had really planned this trip as an experiment, a first taste of height above 4200m, now I have a better understanding of my limitations. Did have a good time rock-climbing and cycling when my family was with me the first 12 days, so overall a good trip.

Until next summer I have decided to continue my regular rock-climbing and running regime in and around Mumbai, but also to incorporate some load carrying hikes on weekends, and be fit in 2014. Maybe we can hook up for one of those weekend jaunts, somewhere between Mumbai and Pune.

I haven't done any courses as such, but did take a few days of personal guidance in the Alps in 2010-11, but mostly I have learned alpine stuff from more experienced friends. I have a lot to learn about expedition style mountaineering, and hence contemplating doing a standard Basic Mountaineering Course in india maybe next year.
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Loneranger. Reason: typos

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #747

Hi Professor ,

Welcome to the forum . Really good to know about your interests .

How was your Leh / Manali experience , what treks did you do ?

-- Grape_Bus

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #761

A note for the admin.

I didn't think much about this forum to begin with. But the last couple or so months have changed my outlook.

Just the amount of relevant information I found here, not to mention like minded people too; is terrific. Kudos!
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #763

Thanks friend :) honestly these words give us energy to keep going and doing more :)
And the the whole motive is to collect and share the information and bring like minded people together. It feels good to see it happening. :)
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #766

Hi Professor ,

Was looking at your post , talking about the some good treks between Mumbai & Pune , some of us on this forum have gotten together and decided to Prabalgadh this weekend and Irshalgadh the next weekend , let us know if you would like to join .

Re: Experienced alpinist, new to Himalayas 4 years, 9 months ago #768

• Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Loneranger.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds