" We do not deceive ourselves that we are engaging in an activity that is anything but debilitating, dangerous, euphoric, kinesthetic, expensive, frivolously essential, economically useless and totally without redeeming social significance. One should not probe for deeper meanings." -Allen Steck, 1967.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 10 months ago #649

Hi Jerry,
Apologies for the delayed reply. I just returned from travel in Nepal.
Yes, the Kun expedition is still on. I've already committed with White Magic.
This is basically a fully supported climb; they provide the guide(s), basic climbing gear, some fixed ropes, etc..
For this level of service and support, I believe it is a good opportunity.

I hope you decide to join the group. To my understanding there is me (American) plus
four Indian climbers currently signed on for this climb. I presume there is still room for
additional climbers. Keep persisting with White Magic if you have interest.
Otherwise it sounds like you have some support through your friends in Ladakh.
Keep in contact; we can compare experiences, and perhaps climb together on Kun this year, or elsewhere another time.

Kind regards from Arizona,
Greg
  • GeoGreg
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 10 months ago #654

Hi Greg,

Thanks for responding. I did have a chat with Avilash from whitemagic. Honestly, their pricing seems steep to me. Although I can afford to pay for it, I have decided otherwise. Its still not totally ruled out, but yes it would have been nice if we had climbed this together. :)

My irish climbing partner has a job to take care of in july, and therefore we are looking at a september ascent. I have decided to climb with my friends agency. His is a modest outfit, but he has got the job done for me in the past and therefore I have decided to play it safe and go with someone familiar. Not to mention his down to earth pricing and "for you Jerry" attitude. lol.

Yes, lets stay in touch, share experiences and perhaps climb together in the future. If its not a hassle, please share your experiences about this climb. In all probability we will be climbing Nun. But any data is useful I suppose.

If you ever plan a trip down south, please be my guest.

Regards,
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 8 months ago #748

Hi Jerrypothen ,

How you doing buddy , Did you manage to go on this climb ?

If not , are you still looking for climbing partners , I am keen to do this as well . Let me know if you have some plans .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 8 months ago #749

Nun/Kun? Later. First, you gotta tell me how you came up with that name -- "trek tomato" ???

I am kidding.

Alright. The Climb now. I think I mentioned earlier on this forum that we are looking at a September ascent (My friend has some business to take care of and it wont be done till before august.). So! Yes. We are climbing for sure. NOT Kun though. We are climbing Nun.

We reach Leh on 03 Sep. Aiming to summit by the 16th. Return to Leh not later than 22nd. Flying out of Leh on 23rd or 24th. Honestly I am not sure if you are too late or not. I can check with my team and with IMF too (They have provisionally booked the peak for the aforementioned dates). If you are an Indian, I don't think it should be an issue. But we have to be quick about it (if the team is ok with it). Let me know how you feel about this whole thing.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 8 months ago #753

Hi Jerrypothen ,

Will tell you about the name "trek tomato" some time in detail , hopefully on one of our climbs , for now , I simply love treks and tomatoes , so thought of combining both ;) !!

Thanks for sharing your itinerary and plans, would love to join , but the dates for this year look difficult . I was looking more towards doing it next year . Just took a month off and spent some time climbing in Nepal .

Thanks so much for considering though ,will keep in touch and would love to hear about your experiences on the climb .

Yes Iam an Indian based out of the city Pune . where are you from .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 8 months ago #754

Hey!

Sure I would like to hear about that someday.

I am from Chennai.

Never mind about the climb. Only advised because you suggested that you might be interested. Later perhaps. I have a couple of objectives in mind after Nun. We can talk about that when I am back from Nun.

You already have my mail and phone (sent you a pm last night). So just stay in touch.

Have a good one trek_tomato. (I am sorry I don't know your name, so I have to keep calling you that. :D)

Best Regards,
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 8 months ago #755

Hi Jerry ,

Sounds good . Will keep in touch and will be eager to hear about your climb .

Iam planning to go for the chaddar trek in winter , any idea about that -

-- TT
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Kun Mountain Climb 6 years, 7 months ago #886

To follow up on my experience with the magnificent Kun climb: On July 26 this year, our team of 5 climbers, plus our guides and Sherpa support all summited Kun at ~ 6:15-6:30 in the morning. We had a “super-alpine” start at ~9PM the previous evening. From Camp 3 at 6300m, we scrapped our way up a series of fixed lines, along knife-edge ridges, and then ascended via rope-team travel on the final summit ridge. We were the first expedition on Kun this season, and the first summiting party on this the beginning of the second century of Kun summits (Kun was first ascended in 1913 by Italian mountaineer Mario Piacenza).

This was a stellar climbing experience made all the more enjoyable by strong, motivated, fun, and easy-going team mates. The expedition was very professionally managed and run by White Magic Adventure Travel (www.whitemagicadventure.com). For those climbers seeking expert guidance and support on a big mountain like Kun, I can recommend them highly; I hope to climb with them again.

Kun is indeed a fine mountain for those seeking experience at 7000m. For me there was a noticeable difference between difficulties at 6000m versus 7000m. The final summit push was quite challenging and highly rewarding. There were moments on this expedition when I thought (at 50 years old) this might be my last big climb, but alas I find again that alpinism is an addiction and my thoughts and dreams of late have been of yet loftier patches of mountain ice.

BTW: My Kun climb was in part an awareness and fundraising campaign, and you can access more information about this effort including details and pictures of the spectacular Kun expedition at my website:

HighAsiaForAphasia.weebly.com

From Arizona -GeoGreg
  • GeoGreg
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #887

Hope this is the season for 50 year olds. My climbing partner is 50 too and brings a wealth of experience from south america, scottish winters, nepal etc to Nun. We meet in 2 days.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #890

Hi,
I was also part of this climbing team with Greg.
It was awesome climb with amazing bunch of climbers across the geography. And it was fantastically managed by a very efficient team of white magic adventures from Delhi. Here are few pictures with some info in captions.

picasaweb.google.com/subbukl/200_Mt_Kun_7078m_17Jul13

Thanks.
~subbu
  • subbukl
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #891

Congrats for success on Kun guys!

@subbu: Welcome to the forum Subbu. We would love to know more about you Subbu, will appreciate a small intro of you (in "intro" section :P).

@greg: thanks greg for coming back with the trip update. I hope you enjoyed the climb and visit to Indian Himalaya.
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #892

Oh how I wish I had read this post earlier. I would have joined. I really want to do some climbing in India and know nothing much about it and the whole confusion about red-tape scares me and deters me from attempting anything here in India.

If someone is interested in climbing, please post and we can plan one soon.

trek_tomato, you say you are in Pune. I am in Mumbai and work for a Pune based org - get to work from home and travel to Arizona one too many times.

Hi Greg, you from AZ? I tried Humphreys and was lost for some and boy that mountain has a bad mood. The weather changed so fast that I had to abandon 100 feet from the summit. :(

-- DM
  • mtclimbing
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Kun Mountain Climb 6 years, 7 months ago #893

Hey Greg! Great to know that you did this climb for the cause of people with aphasia. Wish you success for all your future climbs and may you get all help for the cause that you have taken up!
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #894

@mtclimbing. We are attempting Nun next week. Indo-Irish expedition. I guess its a little too late for that too. :)

But we have some delicious plans on paper for future climbs. The Sasser group in Karakoram, Momostang, Panchachuli, Pinnacle etc. All really high and challenging objectives. Perhaps worth considering.

True! Red tapism is probably the single largest deterrent to climbing in the Himalayas. But I am surprised you limit that notion to India. Its true for Nepal and Pakistan too. One advantage in India, over Nepal and Pakistan is that, at least the logistics are much more affordable here; once we are past the paperwork. In our case, I was able to sort out the paperwork with IMF in a weeks time (not that I enjoy that stuff), but although it seemed like a daunting task initially, it was not that bad after all. Of course my team was swift and resourceful in providing me with all the relevant docs in a timely manner. That definitely helps.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #895

Hi Jerry,

Best wishes for your expedition and Climb On buddy!

Thanks for the post. A week again is too little time though I have my pack almost ready all the time - barring the food. ;) Not sure if I can pack and make it at such short notice.

Well, I will have to keep the options open.

I really do not know anything about Pakistan but I hear that it is easy in Nepal if you have the money. I will need tips from you for exploring India. I will mail you my number and we can touch base when you are back from Ladakh.

--DM
  • mtclimbing
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #896

Hi DM,

Pakistan has pretty much the same system as India. True about Nepal. Easy? I don't know about that DM, but based on what I gather from people I know there, yes a notch swifter than here, if you have the money; and oodles of it I would add.

A week is too little indeed. We would need more than that just to deal with the folks at IMF. Lol. You're welcome anytime. I am more than willing to field your queries. I leave the day after tomorrow and should be back in 3 weeks time; hopefully after a successful attempt. :)

Lets stay in touch.
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #897

Hi Jerry,

I have absolutely no idea about Nepal either. Whatever I say is based on hearsay. Obviously y'all have more experience in this area (I mean mountaineering in the Himalayas).

Wish you the best for the climb. Be safe and remember the mountain will always be there. :)

--DM
  • mtclimbing
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #899

Hi Subbu:

I am a new member here on this forum. Your pics are simple amazing! It was fun to see all the pics with fantastic sky color.

Hope to get to climb with some of you guys sometime.

Cheers!
Sam.
  • lingana
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #908

Just FYI...

Indo-Poland expedition to Mount Nun 7135 m (23410 ft) has been flagged off a few days back- www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/15-news...-ft-flagged-off.html

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #920

congrats Greg! How much did the end to end costing come up to?
Next year I might try ... :)
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds