" In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can't." -Rusty Baille.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 7 months ago #921

congrats Greg! How much did the end to end costing came up to?
Next year I might try ... :)
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Kun Mountain Climb 6 years, 6 months ago #931

Well done Greg , Brilliant pics and congratulations on a safe & successful climb .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #932

@ Mt Climbing

Yes Iam in Pune . Interested in doing the Nun climb next year . Let me know if you are interested as well .

If you are in Bombay , we can syncy up for a quick weekend trek around Mumbai - Pune sometime .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #936

We are three friends from near Delhi and want to summit Nun or Kun peak next year. This yr we summit Stok Kangri. If it would be cost effective than we are ready to join in any existing group or new group could be formed with people who planning to attempt in 2014..

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #937

Hey Rakesh,

There is a group discussing the possibility of climbing Kun next year in the month of July. We have even received a proposal from a company called White Magic Adventures.Attaching the same for your reference.

Cheers

Attachment KUN (7087m) CLIMB 01-26 Jul, 2014.pdf not found

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #943

Hi,

The attachment hasn't come through. Will attach the file I received from them . Here you go .

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #945

Attachment KUN (7087m) CLIMB 01-26 Jul, 2014.pdf not found

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #947

Gentlemen! (and ladies! if any),

I am in Leh at the moment at the end of a terrific climb .. (more in detail when I reach home in a couple of days).

Background!!
I would consider myself a reasonably good climber. I acclimatise fairly well at altitude and am pretty self sufficient in the mountains. I was leading an Indo Irish team to Nun earlier this month. Indian army was there too climbing with the Polish army.

I had to make some tough decisions on the mountain. In a nutshell, Nun and Kun are not as easy as they are made out to be. This is coming from someone who has good experience at quick ascents.

1. You should not be climbing Nun or Kun after Stok.
2. Dont go by the claims of companies or individuals claiming to put you on top.
3. I know most of the sherpas (personally), that are employed by these companies and am aware what happens on the mountains.

Its your life and limbs. Be careful.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #948

Hi Jerry ,

How you doing buddy , Many congrats on a successful and more importantly a safe climb to this amazing mountain . Waiting to hear more about your experience in detail .

Also, what kind of experience in your opinion does it take to climb Kun . Are a couple of 6000+ mts peaks enough . You mentioned that one shouldnt climb it after Stok , Can you elaborate why and what peak would you typically recommend one should have done before attempting this .

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #951

jerrypothen wrote:
Gentlemen! (and ladies! if any),

1. You should not be climbing Nun or Kun after Stok.
2. Dont go by the claims of companies or individuals claiming to put you on top.
3. I know most of the sherpas (personally), that are employed by these companies and am aware what happens on the mountains.

Its your life and limbs. Be careful.

Jerry

Jerry, Its encouraging words in dirrerent sense.

There is one base rule in all deeds..... Physical and Mental involvement. Any person put his body and mind in one direction could go for climb (all virgin peaks are climbed by same rule) but if you want you can put light on;

1) No Kun after Stok - One can climb any peak after any (If thr is any government law to stop i dont know)..
2) How could company or individual can claim to climb/put us on peak tops when we ourselves have to deicde that!!
3) Most of Sherpas statement gives not so honest discriptions of Sherpas (they are few most honest and hardworking people left, still untouched by egoism). Do you recommending we should not trust these folks (any gereralist reason other than your personal experience)..

It motivate people to go for it and thats wat matter..

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #952

Hi,

I am in Mumbai and work fora Pune based org. :)

Let's meet up. Can you PM me your contacts? Or just mail me: backpacked /at/ iCloud /dot/ com

Jerry posted that one needs some good experience for Nun or Kun. Let us discuss that.
  • mtclimbing
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #953

Gentlemen,

The idea behind my post was not to polarise opinions. I posted just to ensure that people are safe and make INFORMED decisions.
On the basis of magnitude, skill and training, this is by far my best climb and the whole experience has humbled me.

@Grapebus

1. Thanks!! but If you notice, I used the word "terrific" for the climb instead of "successful". I almost lost two of my team mates (one a very good friend) to the mountain. When we rescued them, I had to make the tough decision of sending them down because of second degree frost bite. My Irish partner was diagnosed with a pre gangrene condition post expedition. I myself was suffering severe cold injuries during the expedition but "foolishly" continued the climb to the best of my ability. But yes it was terrific. The Indo-Polish (Military) expedition and ours (Indo-Irish) worked hand in hand.

2. Yes I can elaborate.
Stok is a walking peak. Nun is not.
Stok can be done in 4 days Leh to Leh (by someone reasonably fit), but not Nun.
You dont really do an expedition to Stok. Its only a hike to the top. But on Nun, it takes effort just to get to the BC. All three higher camps on Nun are on Ice which changes things. You need supreme fitness in fighting against the terrain (Icefall, snow plateau, steep sections and the summit bid itself).
Its not a matter of how many 6000 or 7000m peaks one has done. Its more a matter of how well one is conditioned to tackle the challenges on Nun and more importantly how well one acclimatises on the mountain during the climb.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #954

@Rakesh

Frankly, if someone wants to climb EVEN K2 without any experience (let alone Stok), then its his prerogative. Who am I to comment or object. But thats not the point of this forum I presume. I believe I am obligated to point out misconceptions and wrong notions if I am aware of them just like any other informed member on this forum. On that note ..

Sorry I disagree about the physical and mental rule theory that you brought out. Any person simply "putting his mind and body in one direction" CANNOT and SHOULD NOT go for ANY climb and ALL virgin peaks are NOT CLIMBED by this same rule. If you desire to KNOW; most big name climbers (Harrer, Messner, Scott, Steck etc) are/were terrific athletes and there is hundreds of thousands of hours of dedicated training and cross training to get in shape for a particular climb. Anyways for now lets drop names and virgin peaks. Lets stick to Nun or Kun.

1. No Rakesh. There is no govt rule about which peak to climb after which. Like I said; if you want to climb K2 after your Basic course, then thats your wish. You wont make it to the top; I guarantee that. but its your money right? Pun intended. Your statement reminds me of 10 people from Bombay who wanted to climb Nun this year. They arrived at the base camp 2 days after us and were still at the base camp when we were on our way out of the BC. They were sitting ducks on the mountain, who had absolutely no clue about how to tackle the mountain. I didnt even have the time to mock or ridicule their effort, simply because I didnt have the time.

2. Companies or individuals claim such things for business. Not many individuals would do an independent climb my friend. Therefore they approach companies and individuals through forums such as this one. All I am saying is be careful who you hook up with.

3. I refrain from disrespecting Sherpas. I believe they deserve my undivided attention. Even if I make a decision on the mountain which goes against what my sherpa believes in, I make it a point to discuss my reasoning with him. I have grown to admire and respect the few Sherpas I have employed in my climbs over the years. If you feel they are dishonest; thats your opinion and you are entitled to it, although I would classify such line of thinking as baseless and vain.

ps: Sherpas have PRIDE; not EGO. And pride is a good thing my friend.

True! if you are motivated and want to go for it, then GO FOR IT. ie, if MOTIVATION alone was sufficient to climb Nun. I am motivated to do a lot of things, I assure you I WILL NOT ATTEMPT them based on MOTIVATION alone. Like I said earlier, its your time, money, life and limb.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #956

Jerry_Pothen: this is the most well-crafted response I have seen on this forum, in response to probably the most irresponsible provocation. Nun/Kun after Stok. Hmmm. How about a marathon after learning to run a mile :-)
BTW there are fit people (not super-fit people) who do Stok in 24-hours, Leh to Leh ;-)

Glad you enjoyed your expedition. Not my cup of tea, it is too adventurous for me, and I don't acclimatise well anyway (and there many technically challenging stuff one can do at lower altitudes), so Nun and Kun will be only vicarious pleasure (and some jealousy) through people like you. And please do keep writing such hard-hitting posts, the forum will benefit.

Kongrats and respekt!
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #957

BTW I am from Mumbai as well, so if there is a plan to do a sporty hike somewhere near Mum/Pune, and you want company/competition and a willing ear for your stories and plans, do share the plans, i will try to join.
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #958

:) Thanks Loneranger. I am glad you can see where I come from. I reiterate, I mean no offence to any person or agency. Just the sheer number of injuries and incidents that I have seen in the last three weeks have made me feel strongly about this. Hence my post.

Regards.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #959

I would love to train with you Loneranger. Alas! I am from Chennai. But If I am in Mumbai (I am PRETTY sure it wont be for training .. ha ha), I will let you know. If you are in Chennai, do likewise. I usually spend a lot of time with this boring person called ME; so any new acquaintance will be welcome I suppose. :)

Regards.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #960

Thats why i said mental element is very imp Jerry... c just few small observation could irked human behaviour and that too from total stranger.. you might not needed this important weapon for climbing at 7k mts but certainly a liitle further u need it more than other things my friends...

Its really good acheivement of yours (of Nun) and i wish u luck for future expeditions my friend. Certainly it would be beneficial for other to share do's and dont's of this expedition.

You put so much emphasis on fitness, my dear friend whoever thinks about Nun or Kun or any high altitude peak need to be in good shape (its primary requirement).

What is looked/desired from a acheiver to share how to do things and what to avoid and no self praising (a lot of i,me,myself doesnt help others)...

I am new to this mountaineering business and learning things Fitness of a former National level medal winner in boxing would good enough for this climb of Nun or Kun i think.. but still i rely on my mental toughness than athletic body..

It gives rest to this discussion and hope that someday we meet up on some expedition and we would talk on it Jerry (if it is your real name)..

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #961

@Rakesh

I believe our debate will only confuse the forum. I suggest you TRY climbing Nun or Kun with the fitness regime for a bout and with your mental toughness. Your call mate. Goodluck.

Yes, may be someday we'll talk.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Climbing Nun Kun Information Required 6 years, 6 months ago #962

agreed dear..
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds