" Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiastŠa part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." - Edward Abbey
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: where to start and what to do??

where to start and what to do?? 1 year, 4 months ago #1170

hi !
i'm a full time fashion photographer. and die heart for mountaineering and done small trek in himachal kashmir and uttrakhand. and want to do this a professionally. Can any one guide me.
thankyou
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by jatin14life.

Re: where to start and what to do?? 1 year, 4 months ago #1171

Hi Jatin,

Welcome to the flock.
You really have to ask yourself what you want to do.
Do you want to do more treks.
Climbs? If so .. What kind. Rock ?.. Ice?
Do you want to do big mountain expeditions?
Wanna climb big walls? North faces?
Are you interested in skiing? Then you can consider ski mountaineering!!
Do you want to climb Alpine style? Expedition style?

So many questions you need to ask yourself.
No matter what you decide. I would absolutely urge you to atleast do a Basic Mountaineering Course. This will actually show you if you really have the aptitude and desire to pursue mountain sports for real. HMI Darjeeling, JIM Pahalgam, NIM Uttarkashi and DMAS Manali are the better known mountaineering institutes. They give you basic exposure to snow, rock and ice craft. Duration of the course is between 26 and 28 days.

Once you decide what you want to do, start accumulating gear. Please get good gear. Not that crappy Decathlon-Quechua stuff.

You can pursue mountain sports as a hobby alongside a fulfilling career in photography. Or you can pursue it full-time. I'd suggest you get started with the basic course and see how things are lining up for you. May be a couple of years down the lane would be a better time to consider pursuing this professionally.

Hope this information is useful to you.
PM me if you have more specific questions. Especially with regads to gear. Always willing to help. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: where to start and what to do?? 1 year, 4 months ago #1172

i want to talk more question regarding mountaineering and i'm madly interring in expedition of high peaks

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 4 months ago #1173

That's a quick decision .. :)
Still. Mountain sports are so draining and demanding yet very satisfying. There are guys on this forum who love hiking. Guys like lone ranger are good rock climbers and endurance athletes. Yet others like sathya and trek_tomato and Sameer who do expeditions and mountain trips inspite of a busy schedule. Personally I do a bit of everything. Big mountain expeditions, back country skiing , ski mountaineering, solo alpinism, hiking etc.

Most guys here would appreciate your decision. But in light of how 90% of our "climbing" community does big mountain expeditions, I would suggest you do it differently. Start with at least a basic course in mountaineering. NIM and HMI are very good. DMAS and JIM are also good. If you want to lead expeditions in the future , the IMF requires you to have a certificate in Advanced course as well. The course content in advanced and basic are more or less same. But most people really keen about mountaineering will do the advanced course at some point. The course content may not be up to the standards of Alpine courses in Europe or the US. But is still great in my opinion. And for Indians and Nepalis the fees are highly subsidized. Soooo... Take advantage.

Gear. If you want to do this. Go for modern, good quality gear and apparel. You may save a few bucks if you buy Quechua - Decathlon stuff. But trust me. In the long run most of their stuff is useless. You must always buy good quality gear and apparel. Yes.. It's expensive. But you can procure gear one by one while you train and prepare yourself for future endeavors. PM me if you need more ideas on the type of gear you wanna invest in. I keep updating my climbing and skiing gear from time to time. So am in sync with a bunch of technologies floating around.

You will obviously be climbing with an outfit to begin with. For training you can hook up with guys in your town. But when you go for expeditions in the Himalayas, go with an outfit who will manage things well for you instead of an outfit who are "cheap" but will get you nowhere. Once you get a hang of how things are done on the mountains, you can hopefully start leading expeditions in the future. Good luck. :)
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 4 months ago #1174

hi thankyou
i start wall climbing at IMF but i hadn't taken membership yet we can talk on personal basis about gears and all
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. this is my mail id drop me a personal msg or forward me your mail i'll msg you
thankyou

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 4 months ago #1175

Hi Jatin.

Wall climbing is a good workout. IMF membership is not mandatory. Ill mail you. But if you have general concerns about the sport, it is worthwhile leaving a message here as well; you will get varied responses from different people, from different cities who have so many different experiences and possibly some excellent advise.

Just be wise to choose whose advise you follow.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 4 months ago #1176

ohkies thankyou
can you tell the brand from i can buy gears
i live in delhi

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 4 months ago #1177

Well

Petzl, Black Diamond, DMM, Grivel, C.A.M.P etc make excellent hardware.

Rab, Millet, Marmot, Mammut, Red Fox, Arcteryx etc make great apparel.

Sportiva, Scarpa, Asolo, Garmont, Mammut, Millet, Zamberlan etc make great boots.

Hope this helps.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 3 months ago #1205

thanks

Re: where to start and what to do??k 1 year, 3 months ago #1206

No worries. You're welcome.

A note on big name brands. You're mostly paying for the brand name. Which is why smaller family run European brands are sometimes a good bet because there is a lot of passion that goes into making the gear, apparel, footwear etc.

CAMP, Zamberlan, Boll, Crux, Cumulus etc are lesser known brands but their products are often comparable to big brands like TNF, Mountain Hardwear, Millet, Sportiva etc.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by jerrypothen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds