" The mountain is nothing without people on it. Often you part expedition exasperated, but a year or two later you go back with the same partners knowing there's potential in this human relationship." -Greg Child.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Basic Mountaineering Course - Physical Fitness Preparation

Basic Mountaineering Course - Physical Fitness Preparation 1 month ago #1238

How to prepare for the Basic Mountaineering Course? I have applied at Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering, Pahalgam for the June Batch. Help me with the physical fitness plan.
  • Umang
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Basic Mountaineering Course - Physical Fitness Preparation 3 weeks, 3 days ago #1241

Hey Umang. Don't stress over fitness.

You should be comfortable hiking with a heavy pack for 6 to 8 hours a day during the approach to base camp. The training is very regimented. Wake up at 6 and off to bed by 9 and if JIM is anything like NIM or HMI then between 6 am and 9 pm you will be constantly active. Start with PT in the mornings, followed by breakfast, rockcraft, theory etc. Some educational videos or theory lessons in the evening. Most of the snowcraft and icecraft happens on the mountains beyond basecamp. You might attempt height gain on a mountain called Kolohai. But there will be ample time to condition for the rigours of training during the course.

I'd suggest work on your endurance skills ((5 to 10k runs, swimming for 30 to 60 minutes, hiking with a 15 kilo pack once in a while so your shoulders get used to handling the weight. )) But as I said earlier... Don't stress over it. Idea is to have fun. Do concentrate on the practical sessions... Learn your ropes, holds etc, hone your skills and hopefully you'll climb many a mountain.

Best regards!!
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Basic Mountaineering Course - Physical Fitness Preparation 1 week, 4 days ago #1242

Hi, thank you so much for taking your time out and sharing this useful information. I have already started doing some short treks in Sahyadris with weight and focusing more on core strength. Looking forward to learn many new things during the course. Thanks again for the help.
  • Umang
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Basic Mountaineering Course - Physical Fitness Preparation 3 days, 3 hours ago #1246

No worries. You're welcome.

Hope you have a great trip. Be sure to keep a tab on the security situation before you head out for the course. Major towns in Kashmir can be volatile. It is unfortunate because Kashmir and Kashmiri people have so much to offer.

Also keep checking with the staff if there is a change in the venue. This happens. Jawahar institute changed the venue of the Ski course from Gulmarg to Aru. And any written intimation may take days to reach you. A call to the admin staff a week or two before the course should be good.

Have fun ....
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds