" Doubly happy, however, is the man to whom lofty mountain tops are within reach." -John Muir.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mountaineering Institute's in India

Mountaineering Institute's in India 5 years, 4 months ago #124

Hi Guys,

Iam a keen trekker and have done some treks on my own over the last few years , I have trekked upto heights of 3500 mts . I want to pursue this hobby a little more seriously now. I have been told and recommended by a lot of people about NIM & HMI and to do a course from there .

Can someone please tell me , which institute should I go to and what do they really teach there for a month . Are there any shorter courses , like 15 days or so , as I may not be able to manage 1 month of leave . And what is the cost involved in it ?

-- Sheereen
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 5 years, 4 months ago #125

I found a reply to another post that could provide you with some of your answers-
www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/8-rock-...ove-35-years.html#61
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 5 years, 4 months ago #129

Hi,

Good to see that you are interested in the Mountaineering schools in India . There are 3 big schools - One is Nehru Institute of Mountaineering (Uttarkashi) , second is Himalayan Mountaineering (Darjeeling) and the third is ABVIMAS (Manali) . In my opinion all three are good and worth going to , each has their own way of training students , even though the basic course content and method of instruction is the same. Personally I have done my courses from NIM and biased towards it .

For beginners - all 3 offer a 28 day Basic mountaineering course . To answer your question as to what do they teach in 1 month , well a lot of things , but to summarize - the course is split in 3 major parts - rock craft , snow craft and ice-craft , the first couple of days is height again , familiarization to equipment , ropes and knots , basic principles of mountaineering , basic safety, indoor wall etc etc !

If you like the sport really, you will have to invest about a month as this is the minimum you would take to learn the basics of mountaineering properly. They do have adventure courses which are 2 weeks , but they are not pure mountaineering courses and a mix of lot of adventure activities .

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 5 years ago #393

Hi Sheereen,

Grape_Bus700 is right about the institutes and the courses. Just to add to what Grape_Bus700 has said, there are 5 mountaineering institutes in India for the civilians and 2 institutes specifically for the armed forces:-

Civilians can get certified from the below mentioned institutes:-

1) Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling
2) Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarkashi
3) Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering & Allied Sports, Manali
4) Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering, Pahalgam
5) SGMI, Gangtok

Srikant.
  • srikant.c
  • Fresh Boarder
BMC-HMI, Batch 298
Stok Kangri Expedition-2012

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 4 months ago #922

Add National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (NIMAS) at Dirang in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh to the list :)

NIMAS has started its first course on basic mountaineering. The course started on August 26 would culminate on September 30. A total of 30 trainees from Army, Para-Military Forces, and civil candidates from Arunachal Pradesh have joined the course.

The skill imparted in this course would enable the trainees to understand the mountains, their climate, culture and traditions of the area. The course curriculum would also enable trainees to become trek leaders/guides. It is being conducted in area of Gorichen base camp, in Tawang district bordering China. Gorichen is one of the popular mountaineering peaks of eastern Himalayas.

www.business-standard.com/article/pti-st...-113090300758_1.html
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 4 months ago #927

Hey,

Good to know about the Institute in Arunachal as well. Gives us an opportunity to explore a new part of the country especially since travelling to Arunachal invariably is a huge effort.

On the aspect of Mountaineering courses from ABVIMAS, in Manali, the following attached document should be helpful in giving you a layout of the courses that are to offer.

File Attachment:

File Name: WesternHimalayaMountaineeringInstitute-20123.pdf
File Size: 87 KB

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 4 months ago #941

Hi,

Answer to the Original question, "What do they actually teach there?"

The below link gives you a detailed day by day break up of the itinerary for your reference.

www.adventurehimalaya.org/mountaineeringbc.asp

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 4 months ago #942

Hi,

This is the program schedule for the institute in Manali. Is it the same for all of them ?

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 3 months ago #969

With due respect to all institutes (and I have friends and instructors in these institutes), I truly believe, NIM and HMI are BY FAR, the best mountain schools in India.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 3 months ago #977

NIM and HMI are strict and you really need to learn well and implement to get a grade A.
I have seen many of my friends in my HMI batch got a grade B which other institutes would have given a grade A. And that is for good.
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 3 months ago #978

Satya wrote:
NIM and HMI are strict and you really need to learn well and implement to get a grade A.
I have seen many of my friends in my HMI batch got a grade B which other institutes would have given a grade A. And that is for good.

YES. Satya is right. My instructor from HMI also once said, if you can trek to the BC of HMI, you can trek to any BC in the world. So apart from the curriculum, the trek and the conditioning is also top notch; if you can handle it.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 4 years, 3 months ago #979

Yup, because they will take you to Sikkim which is considered to be a part of Wet Himalayas. Wet Himalayas are tougher hence the stamina increases.
  • Satya
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Mountaineering Institute's in India 3 years, 8 months ago #1083

Regarding NIMAS, anybody knows the address/ website of this institute ? Failed to find any info online.
  • srikant.c
  • Fresh Boarder
BMC-HMI, Batch 298
Stok Kangri Expedition-2012
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds