" I send my warmest congratulations to you and to the other members of the Italian team, who have achieved such a splendid mountaineering feat on Mt McKinley." -President Kennedy to Riccardo Cassin in 1961.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keep Clean campaign Karakorum 2012 - 6 tons of trash collected in the Baltoro glacier

Keep Clean campaign Karakorum 2012 - 6 tons of trash collected in the Baltoro glacier 7 years, 5 months ago #203

As per a news report on Desnivel.com, Keep Clean campaign Karakorum 2012 has been completed with a balance of 6,000 kg of garbage and over 3,700 kg of human waste collected in the Baltoro glacier.

Six tons were moved from the Circo Concordia to Askole to be separated and burnt as far as possible.The accumulated rubbish includes all materials left by mountaineering expeditions and frequenting the Baltoro tourism during the summer months, as air tanks, cans, wind-torn tents, cooking utensils, gas loads used, pieces of backpacks, etc.. To all this, add more than 3,700 kg of human waste, collected by the installation of so-called 'eco-platforms', toilets placed in the base camps in the mountains and along the most frequented trekking routes.

Both the collection of waste and the installation of two new toilets at the base camp of Broad Peak and path are part Gondogoro Pass The Seed Project (Environmental and Socioeconomic Development in the Central Karakorum National Park), which holds the committee EvK2Cnr. A project that has organized until today cleaning five expeditions of Karakoram glaciers that, taken together, have gathered a collection of 40 tons of waste and have installed a total of 11 toilets in the area. In addition, training was given to 75 high altitude porters -30 of them specialized in rescue-and 200 trekking guides.

The Baltoro Glacier, at 62 kilometers long, is one of the longest glaciers outside the polar regions and is located in Baltistan, in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds