" On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude." -Lionel Terray.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why do people go to Everest Base Camp?

Why do people go to Everest Base Camp? 7 years, 5 months ago #208

Could be a idiotic question for some, but genuine, why do people go to Everest Base Camp? Recently I have seen friends, office colleagues, etc. line up to trek/climb to the Mount Everest Base Camp (or EBC as some call it). Also, there are quite a few agencies that have been now organizing treks to EBC.

One obvious reason is that it is a base for expeditions to Mount Everest, where climbers stop before and after their actual expeditions and also their support teams wait at the EBC.

What are the other motives?
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Why do people go to Everest Base Camp? 7 years, 5 months ago #210

Hi Amit,

Asking "Why people go to Everest Base camp" is like asking why people go trekking ?? Agreeably , Yes its more popular than most other treks in the region , but they go there - first and foremost because they simply like to trek .

Then follow other reasons like you mentioned : one people are attracted to Everest and naturally so . Secondly - Its one of those treks where you can comfortably walk up to an altitude of almost 18000 feet without any technical climbing and experience and thirdly it offers spectacular views of some one dozen 7000 & 8000 mts ++ peaks including the Everest !!

Anapurna base camp I would say is also very popular , and even the Makalu - Baruntse national Park is getting there soon !
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Why do people go to Everest Base Camp? 7 years, 5 months ago #214

Hey trek_tomato,

Thanks for your answer! I also happened to read the article "A Pilgrimage to Chomulungma" www.indianmountaineers.com/articles/84-a...stine-d-patham.html. Surely EBC looks promising.

Btw, do you have more info about Annapurna Base Camp and how it fares in comparison to EBC?
  • DonAmit
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds