" How could the adventure seeker of today find satisfaction with the level of performance that was a standard set more than 40 years ago -" -Anatoli Boukreev.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shanti Rai makes Sikkim proud after climbing Mt. Gorichen

Shanti Rai makes Sikkim proud after climbing Mt. Gorichen 7 years, 4 months ago #281

Shanti Rai of Chemchey, South Sikkim was successful in scaling Mt. Gorichen of Arunachal Pradesh with a height of 6,844m on 27 Oct 2012.

She has been in an expedition to scale some of the unexplored Himalayan Mountain Summits of Eastern Himalaya sponsored by IMF. The 12-member expedition team consisted of Ms Shanti Rai as one of the members of the expedition amongst other being two (ITBP) Jawans, one member each from Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram and Jammu & Kashmir along with three other male and a female member from Arunachal Pradesh.

She further stated … “I am here not in an expedition exactly to scale Mt. Everest but in an effort to expose the world about unscaled mountain summits so far”.

Till now as a mountaineer, she has been climbing unexplored mountains and the mountains full of opportunities. Earlier she had successfully climbed Mount Indrasen (6,221m), Mount Hariday Kund (6,578m) of Himachal Pradesh before setting her foot towards Mount Gorichen. She did her basic course in mountaineering from Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali, Himachal Pradesh. She did her advance course from world renown Mountaineering Training Institute known as Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (H.M.I.) of Darjeeling.

Sikkim, now being one of the famous brewing destination for Adventure Sports and Mountaineering Rai as a mountaineer stated that much initiative should be taken from the and further added that mountaineering alike other sports should be given equal treatment, importance and highlighted by the state Government.

For more info, see this- isikkim.com/2012-11-shanti-rai-pride-of-...mountaineering-20-2/

Read more about the Mt. Gorichen expedition in this thread- www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/4-mount...unachal-pradesh.html
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by cool_climber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds