" Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence." -Hermann Buhl.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Commercial Expeditions

Commercial Expeditions 7 years, 4 months ago #286

What are commercial expeditions? Should I go for commercial expeditions or not? What type of facilities/arrangements should I expect from commercial expeditions?
  • Thinker
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Commercial Expeditions 7 years, 3 months ago #329

commercial expeditions essentially means an expedition organized by a professional company. A participant, who is in fact a client of the company, pays the charges for service offered by the company. in commercial expeditions, the company arranges everything required for the expedition viz. permissions, equipment, food, staff, guide, mules, route opening, rescue etc.

Generally, companies operate n same peaks or routes on a regular basis, so they have establish systems for that particular route.
It helps them reduce the risk of failure.

pros:
novice can get a chance to hit the mountains with minimal or no worry about the logistics. he/she just need to focus only on own fitness for the climb.

chances of success are more because you are in company of experienced people who most probably have climbed same route several times or at least are better mountaineers

best option for busy people willing to climb but have no time for planning things.

cons:

you miss on some of the best things about mountaineering like route finding, equipment and food planning and team management etc.

mostly you will be climbing with a partner whom you have met for the first time in your life, so you don't get any clue of his abilities, strengths or weaknesses. team building starts right on the field.

any thoughts?
  • paresh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds