" I don't think I would become a climber if I were young man now [...] What is freedom to a bird if it is in the middle of a flock -" -John Gill.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Travel Buddy

Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #344

Hi Everyone, If anyone has planned any upcoming Itinerary planned for peak climbing in India/Nepal, keep me posted. I am beginner in mountainering though, the highest elevation been to is 3700 Mts above sea level only. Really looking to pace myself for climb of 6000-7000 + Mtrs in either Uttarakhand or Ladhak region by year end.
If any one had already achieved the same, any suggestions/guidance to achieve the same would be highly appreciated. Since based in Delhi, would be contacting IMF to check the guidelines regarding Peak climbing in India and keep everyone posted. About Myself, treeked a bit in HP and Uttarakhand and did completed a marathon last year (pity couldnt make this year). I feel though that I can take the strains of Mountaineering till 6000 Mts in about 3 mths time.

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #348

Vijay, Good to here from you.

To climb 6000+ peaks you really need to first acquire some basic technical knowledge for mountaineering from one of the Mountaineering institutes in India. This is a first and very important step. The basic course will give you good understanding of mountaineering. Though, Its not 100% compulsory by rules or guidelines of IMF, Its a must in my own opinion.

you may refer to following thread on institutes:
mountaineering courses

There are peaks like stoke kangri, friendship etc which are considered as not technical and can be climbed without and formal mountaineering knowledge. (but of course with some experienced guide or team) .

Let me know if this brings more questions in your mind. :)

all the best. keep posting.
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #350

Hey Vijay . . .

One of the most amazing Trekking experiences I had was the trek to Everest Base Camp. Though it is technically a trek, without any mountaineering techniques required such as rock, Snow or Ice craft, it is a fantastic experience for numerous reasons. The exposure to a country like Nepal where every where you look, you see mountains. It is like the mecca for climbers, and the kind of people you get to interact with is fantastic. I had the chance to me Aditya Vajpayee the youngest Indian to climb everest at the age of 16yrs. We met at Base Camp when he was attempting to climb Lhotse. One of the other great things about this trek is that you get to experience High altitude. When you run out of breath from just the effort of Talking, you know you've reached another level of trekking. Wish you all the best in your travels ahead.

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #352

@ascentorumdoodle: you mean Arjun Vajpayee, right?
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #359

Hehe . . . Yup Sorry . . Yeah, Arjun, not Aditya . . . :)

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #367

Thx for revert. EBC is one of the considered options and below Itinerary has been planned, please suggest if any changes required:
DEL-KTM
KTM-Jiri
Jiri-Deorali
Deorali-Sete
Sete-Junbesi
Junbesi-Nuntala
Nuntala-Kharikhola
KhariKhola-Puiyan
Puiyan-Phakding
Phakding-Namche
Stopover@ namche
Namche-Tengboche
Tengboche-Dingboche
Dingboche-Lobuche
Lobuche-Gorka Shep to EBC
EBC-Gorak Shep
Gorak Shep-Kala Patthar, trekking to Periche
Periche-Namche
Namche-Lukla
Lukla-KTM
Certain Queries-
1. How to get TIMS card?
2. Estimated Lodging/Meal expenses per day?
3. Can carried Tent be used while trekking to EBC instead of Lodging?
4. Is a Guide requierd for EBC Trek . I assume, the traffic would be high on the Trek Route.
5. Total Expenses for 2 persosn excluding Travel charges?

Re: Travel Buddy 7 years, 3 months ago #369

Hi,

When I had done the EBC trek, we flew directly from Kathmandu to Lukla, so I'm not too sure what the facilities were like from Jiri to Lukla. To the best of my knowledge, you can't precure a TIMS card without an agent in Kathmandu . We went with a Guide and I would strongly recommend one. They are familiar with the route and the last thing you want is to spend too much time backtracking . Also in case of an emergency, someone who speaks the local language helps. Though some people speak English, the numbers are extremely limited.I do know that all the Tea houses we stayed, whether you tent or use the Lodge, the charges are more or less the same. As far as a budget trip not too sure what it could be like. We payed INR 65,000/- per head which was all inclusive, from 4 nights in KTM in an excellent bed and breakfast to both ways airfare KTM - LUKLA, all meals and lodging enroute, menu as per our choice, porters, guide, medical, the works. If you like, I can give you the name of the guy who organized our trip and he may be able to help you. Wish you all the best .

Cheers
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds