" We do not deceive ourselves that we are engaging in an activity that is anything but debilitating, dangerous, euphoric, kinesthetic, expensive, frivolously essential, economically useless and totally without redeeming social significance. One should not probe for deeper meanings." -Allen Steck, 1967.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I want to start climbing, where should I start?

I want to start climbing, where should I start? 7 years, 1 month ago #453

Okay one of my friends told me that she wants to get into action and go on a few trekking / mountaineering outings in India after having read about mountaineering, especially on this forum. Where should she start? I think it will it be a good idea to start with Western Ghats - Sinhagad, Lohgad or the likes, for instance, i reckon, as she is based in Pune. What say alpinists?
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: I want to start climbing, where should I start? 7 years, 1 month ago #456

Hey it is a good idea to start with these forts and you being an experienced climber yourself would agree with that! I think getting attached with a regular mountaineering enthusiast will be really helpful A short course in mountaineering too is a great idea and so is to do strength training and getting mentally fit. Mountaineering is as mental an activity as physical. it needs a lot of mental strength...in addition to this, she can go through some good books on mountaineering and mountain climbing like 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer or books on Himalayas. Also, check these links -
www.alpineinstitute.com/get-started/wher...er-climbing-courses/
suite101.com/article/mountaineering-basics-a206307
arthriticknee.hubpages.com/hub/Climbing-...de-A-Beginners-Guide
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds