" You cannot stay on the mountain forever. You have to come down again. So why bother in the first place- Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know." - Rene Daumel, Mont Analogue
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Approval from IMF - Indian Mountaineering Foundation

Approval from IMF - Indian Mountaineering Foundation 7 years, 1 month ago #482

Can I climb Himalayas without IMF (Indian Mountaineering Foundation) approval?
  • uphillclimb
  • Senior Boarder
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by uphillclimb.

Re: Approval from IMF - Indian Mountaineering Foundation 7 years, 1 month ago #485

Hello uphill climb! well, unfortunately or fortunately you cannot climb the Himalaya in India without the IMF's permission and approval. It is a noteworthy offence according to Indian legal system to climb without IMF approval. Although the process could be tedious, it is necessary for a smooth expedition later on.
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Approval from IMF - Indian Mountaineering Foundation 7 years, 1 month ago #486

Sheereeb, I feel its true for foreign climbers willing to climb in India. For Indians, (I am not sure though) it may not be the case.
Few states like Uttarakhand and Sikkim have there own rules and regulations for climbing and they clearly are for both Indian and foreign climbers.

Also, states like Himachal Pradesh dont have any Expedition check posts like in Uttarakhand to verify expedition permits etc.
So I think only Uttaranchal and Sikkim they have clears regulations saying Expedition has to be approved by IMF.

I would also like to bring in to notice that regions near to border areas require a inner line permit. More info http://sikkim.nic.in/homedept/ilpfaqs.htm

Having said that, I would say its always good to get IMF approval for all your venture. It helps if something goes wrong.
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Approval from IMF - Indian Mountaineering Foundation 7 years, 1 month ago #488

Hi Guys,

Its quite a chaos over- all and quite difficult to get the right set of information . I had also read somewhere that for peaks under 6000 mts + do not require IMF permission and peaks above 6000 mts + do require some permission . But honestly, dont know how true is this .

Like the North east , Leh also has its own set of rules and you need to obtain something called the Inner-line permit , which you get from local authorities usually through a agent .

Hope someone can actually give some useful and right Info on this .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds