" When you ride your bike, you're working your legs, but your mind is on a treadmill. When you play chess, your mind is clicking along, but your body is stagnating. Climbing brings it together in a beautiful, magical way. The adrenaline is flowing, and it's flowing all the time." -Pat Ament.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cleanliness on Himalayan trekking routes

Cleanliness on Himalayan trekking routes 7 years ago #511

Himalayan trekking routes are getting increasingly polluted and dirty. I recently came across an article where it said that due to the increasing number of tourists visiting Himalayas throwing plastic covers, wrappers and other stuff on Himalayan treks, the routes are getting dirty. This happens apparently due to the rising number of guided tours involving 50-100 or more people per trek. So what do you think guys? Should there be some regulation brought about by government on how many people can go for a exotic trek to Himalayas, which are supposed to be the pride of India?
  • maddy
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Cleanliness on Himalayan trekking routes 7 years ago #512

Hey..i totally can imagine this.. However, i am not sure if government's intervention would prove helpful. For one, those who organize those guided tours could perhaps put a restriction on the number. Second, common sense is not common in India, we all know that. rather we rate very low on civic sense, to be specific. Third, even if government regulates the number, it cannot put civic sense into their head. So it has to come from within that littering such a precious resource and our pride as you said is not the right thing to do.
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Cleanliness on Himalayan trekking routes 7 years ago #518

Civic sense is on a major low in India. In that sense we are still very much a third-world country. I agree with Shereeb to some extent about not really being sure if the government can do anything about it. At the most it can chalk out rules but how effective the implementation would be is a bone of contention. So it is the trekkers and climbers who have to take the onus. at the same time i think if those who notice littering and try to clean it, for instance by simply by picking up wrappers, it can help a lot. it may set an example for those who feel that it is not their responsibility to keep our country clean. :)
  • uphillclimb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds