" But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live. Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom. Only a person who risks is free. The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; and the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year

Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year 5 years, 12 months ago #67

I am a 31 year old female from Pune. I want to climb a few 6000 meter peaks in the next two years so that I get used to using the techniques that I will learn in the mountaineering school next year.

I eventually want to climb 7000+ meter peaks but that is still far away.

I want to plan ahead so that I have something to look forward to when I wake up everyday

I am looking for a climbing partner. Is there anyone out there who might want to climb 6000+ meter peaks with me?

I attempted Stok Kangri in 2010 but did not get to the summit as it was really cold and I was too tired. Should I try and reattempt Stok Kangri since it is quite easy or should I leave that aside for the time being and try a new 6000+ peak? Which peaks should I be looking at?
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year 5 years, 12 months ago #68

IMHO you should forget stok kangri as of now. the reason is, I feel that you have already been there once. you reached to the top or not is not what really matters. and that too for a trekking peak. i think its a good idea to venture into some new area. Luckily we have such a vast Himalaya to explore and to fulfill our climbing and exploring urge.

you can go for easier peaks if you wish, but in new are. :)

I am sure you will also get climbing partners soon as this forum and community grows with time.
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year 5 years, 12 months ago #69

Hi Buffyfish,

I would say go for Stok Kangri again !! (I personally dont like unfinished business& thats why Iam saying it ) !! Its a good peak and offers some brilliant views if you are lucky with the weather . Its a tough climb towards the end .

Apart from that you can start with a couple of peaks around Manali , Like - Mt. Shitidhar , Hanuman Tibba (Technical) , Friendship peak ( again a lil technical) , these are quite accessible and reasonable to climb in India,
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year 5 years, 12 months ago #71

Thank you!
Can I climb these peaks with just a guide?
Or would you recommend having a climbing partner?
  • buffyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • A student of life!
- Buffy Fish

Re: Climbing a 6000 plus meter peak next year 5 years, 12 months ago #72

Hi Buffy Fish,

You can climb these peaks with a guide , but having some company is always better . If you have a climbing partner nothing like it ! You also have an option of joining one of the climbing groups / or commercial expeditions . These are famous & commercial route's and you have a lot of climbing groups here during the right seasons.
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds