" Today is your day ! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." -Dr. Seuss (1904-991)
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india

suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #682

hello friends,

I require your reviews and suggestions on the best mountaineering institutes in northern India . Out of the premier 3 NIM, HMI, IISM and JIM. ABVIMAS ..how far does ABVIMAS hold good??? many don't rate it to be as good but all those reviews are up-to 2008. Is it still the same or have the standards improved.?? I ask this because it is charging double of what the other 2 offer ... so how can the standards be so low???

Also, i want to know is there any way I can bypass the basic training and directly opt for the advance course in these institutes. I have been pursuing trekking as a hobby from past 5 years but I don't have a certificate to prove it ... :( :(. so cant that experience be counted for some how??

Are there any other mountaineering institutes (govt./private) besides these 5 which offer certified advance mountaineering courses in India??
  • viraal
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #683

Hi Viraal,

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion NIM and HMI, Darjeeling are the best. I have done Basic from NIM and know friends who have done courses from HMI. Both these institutes have good infrastructure and equipment. Having said that, recently I have also heard that NIM is now lacking instructors as most of the senior and experienced instructors have retired. But, anyways course structure the training areas and equipment is a certain plus for NIM at least.
  • skorpion
  • Senior Boarder

Re: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #684

hey skorpio... thanx for the warm welcome ...n again for the info.... :) :)

do have any info. regarding ABVIMAS... how is the insti. ..?? actually i am plannin to book for seat for this july or sept. HMI is full and NIM are not pickin calls which leaves me with ABVIMAS. But reviews say otherwise. also any help regarding bypassing basic trainning directly to advance level?? anything??
  • viraal
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #685

I don't know about ABVIMAS but any of the 3 are good. I did from Manali as that was only with a slot open, other NIM and HMI get booked months in advance. Besides you can check out above14000ft.com, they have a shorter course but I don't have any reviews about it.
You have to do the basic and get an A grade to proceed to advanced. Sorry no shortcut on that
  • pravb
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #688

@pranab, The institute in Manali is ABVIMAS only.
@viraal: its difficult to rank but in my opinion it would be NIM, HMI and ABVIMAS. Thats the reason batches are full as you mentioned. If you can wait i would suggest go for NIM or HMI. But, otherwise you can think of ABVIMAS.

As ar as I know there is no other institutes conducting such serious training programs. and even if there is one, i guess they would charge you much more than these three institutes. Above three institutes are government aided so they can offer these courses for such a small fee.

Also, viral, I have created a new topic of your other question as it is a separate topic.and will share my thoughts on that thread.
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: suggetion regarding best mountaineeering school to learn from in northern india 6 years, 10 months ago #690

@pranab n admin : thanx yaar ;) ;) :)
  • viraal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds