" The pleasure of risk is in the control needed to ride it with assurance so that what appears dangerous to the outsider is, to the participant, simply a matter of intelligence, skill, intuition, coordination... in a word, experience. Climbing in particular, is a paradoxically intellectual pastime, but with this difference: you have to think with your body. Every move has to be worked out in terms of playing chess with your body. If I make a mistake the consequences are immediate, obvious, embarrassing, and possibly painful. For a brief period I am directly responsible for my actions. In that beautiful, silent, world of mountains, it seems to me worth a little risk." -A. Alvarez.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chadar Trek - Zanskar

Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #744

Hi,

Has anyone on this forum been to the Chadar Trek or the "Frozen river trek" in Leh .

I am looking at more info for the same - best time to do it , difficulty level , days , budget etc etc ?

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #756

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #757

Hi TT..

Yeap. Lets stay in touch.
Sure I will keep you posted about Nun.

Chadar? I don't know TT. I am planning a ski descent of Stok come winter. Perhaps we can combine the two. (oops; isn't that like a different topic altogether? Hope the admin doesn't kick us out of here. lol)

Like I said. Still some time for winter. Lets stay in touch and talk about it. For now, Nun is on my mind, and I've got my hands full for the moment. Working really hard towards it. :) Just hate doing all this bureaucratic rubbish. :(

Have a good one TT
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by admin.

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #770

Hi TT,

Just thought we'd share with you this link with respect to the Chadder trek. I think a few of us are planning on the Chadder trek this winter and will be adding more info to the following link . . . www.indianmountaineers.com/forum/10-trek...-river-trek.html#600
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by admin.

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #771

This is a very funny thread (or I am drunk) :-)
A discussion about Chadar trek and ski descent of Stok, in a thread titled Nun/Kun, and referring to me (TT-Lone Ranger) who has never participated in this thread so far, throwing in tomatoes, it is surreal :-)

There is a lot of info about Chadar trek on the net, I also spoke to someone who guides that just for additional insight, when I was in Leh. I think technically and fitness-wise it is a pretty tame trek, the only battles are the cold (easily managed by wearing enough layers) and safe route-finding (which is again nothing for the locals); so in short it is something I would never do outside a guided group, and also well below the "interest" level of people who talk of Nun/Kun and Ski-descent of Stok kangri, so not advisable. This is just my opinion.

I was drawn to the Chadar trek for a very different reason, which is why I had done some research on it. That is ice-climbing. My preference is for technical stuff, with little interest in peaks and altitudes, and the Chadar trek caught my fancy because it runs along at least a couple of frozen water falls. Waterfalls are technically much harder than alpine ice, a great way to build your skills without the labor and exposure of high-altitude, remoteness, avalanches and crevasses. The industry is well-organized, and if we have a small group of ice-climbers we can easily go with pack animals and cooks and have a very productive trip in comfort/safety, cost within about 20k for a week.

This is just an idea I am toying with, doubt I can make this year but won't exclude, and certainly consider for the coming years.
Cheers,
TT
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by Loneranger.

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #773

Thanks TT-Loneranger for pointing that out. I have moved the Chader Trek trek topic.
About TT, in this thread gues they are refering to Trek_Tomato :-)

Let continue Chader Trek discussion o this thread, rather than Nun-Kun.

cheers,
Admin
  • admin
  • Administrator
Regards,
Administrator
Indian Mountaineers Community

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #774

Ouch, should have figured out the TT.

Would have preferred the thread to be in the Nun/Kun thread, as I doubt Chadar trekkers would be too keen on ice-climbing, but it is fine either way, I just hope they will see this thread too.
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #775

True .. Trek_tomato signs off as TT too. Besides I had specifically mentioned on that thread while talking about Skiing down Stok (in response to Tomato's plan), that it was a different subject.

Regards,
Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Chadar Trek - Zanskar 6 years, 8 months ago #778

This link provides answers to some of the questions asked by thread starter: www.chadartrek.com/FAQ.html
  • Loneranger
  • Junior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds