" Together we knew toil, joy and pain. My fervent wish is that the nine of us who were united in face of death should remain fraternally united through life." - Maurice Herzog, Annapurna 1950
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Noshaq

Noshaq 6 years, 8 months ago #758

Anybody thinking of doing Noshaq next year? Lemme know. I have been thinking about it for some time. Not sure how best to go about it.

Jerry
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Trash, Trampoline & The Party Girl
JP

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 8 months ago #759

Got to kow about this for the first time. Thanks Jerry for that, after reading more on wikipedia I found it interesting :). Though not in mind loved to know about new mountain today.

as wikipedia says:
Noshaq (or Nowshak) is the second highest independent peak of the Hindu Kush Range after Tirich Mir (7,690 m (25,230 ft)) and lies on the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. The north and west sides of the mountain are in Afghanistan whereas the south and eastern sides are in Pakistan. Noshaq is Afghanistan's highest mountain and is located in the northeastern corner of the country along the Durand line which marks the border with Pakistan. It is the westernmost 7,000 m (22,966 ft) peak in the world. Easiest access to Noshaq is from Chitral, Pakistan.

• himank
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 8 months ago #760

Not much out there about this mountain. Wikipedia and a few articles. Which is precisely why I find this interesting. That, and the fact that this is the highest mountain in Afghanistan and a technical ascent. Sounds ominous to me.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by jerrypothen.

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 8 months ago #765

Wow, never heard of this one before . What about permission guys, do we really get permissions to climb in these regions, especially after what happened in Nanga Parbat last month .

Also, do you have any Info on the climbing support you get here in terms of Logistics there .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 8 months ago #769

Hey

Permissions, logistics etc is all step2.
The idea behind putting this proposition out there is to gauge if there are enough crazy guys out there who want to do this.

Permissions? I reckon the best way to approach this mountain logistics wise would be from Pakistan. So permits would be through their Alpine Club (something like the IMF here). But being Indians I doubt getting a Pakistani visa (and the permits too) would be easy. To make matters worse, I doubt any of us has been to Pakistan.

So I guess Afghanistan or through Dushanbe would be the best approach for us. I think I read about a couple of western outfits who do some sort of logistics for Noshaq. But as I said earlier. Step 1 - is getting a bunch of like minded nuts who are willing to stick through this.

Just a pointer. Nun has been on my mind for 3 years. Last 2 years I had to postpone due to guys pulling out at the last moment. You cant even imagine what an embarrassment it is for the guy who is dealing with IMF and the logistics people (in my case that would be ME). To explain reasons for cancelling the trip. So obviously we don't want anything like that.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 6 months ago #935

Hi Jerry ,

Was reading a few posts on the forum and came across this one .

How you dong buddy and how is this one coming along . Any more development on this climb .

Iam seriously considering Nun in 2014 climbing season and working towards it.

What is your next Adventure .
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Noshaq 6 years, 6 months ago #955

Hey TT.

No adventures for a couple of weeks ATLEAST.
I am frostbitten, have sore and numb feet, severely burnt and not that I am not keen to go out there and do something crazy, but I cannot feel my feet (Literally .. lol). So really need a lot of rest.

Next on the cards is a ski adventure in Kashmir or Ladakh (for sure) Let me know if you are interested. Noshaq is still a long way from fruition. If you are serious about Nun, start working hard NOW. If you don't mind another objective, lets stay in touch and discuss that in due course.

Regards.
  • jerrypothen
  • Expert Boarder
JP
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds