" Many years ago, I climbed the mountains, even thought it is forbidden. Things are not as they teach us; the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky." -From a dying Star Trek character.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Everest - Death toll this climbing season

Everest - Death toll this climbing season 7 years, 7 months ago #76

For some of you guys who did not know this , The climbing season saw over 500 summits but unfortunately 10 confirmed casulties , Got the following from a blog :

10 Confirmed deaths

1. 40 year-old Karsang Namgyal Sherpa climbing with Prestige Adventures related to alcohol at base camp
2. Peak Freaks’ Namgyal Tshering Sherpa fell from a ladder into a crevasse near C1
3. Dawa Tenzing with Himex from stroke in the Khumbu Icefall and died in Kathmandu
4. 33 year-old Indian, Ramesh Gulve, climbing with the Pune team suffered a stroke around Camp2 and died back in India.
5. Dr Ebehard Schaaf with Asian Trekking of HACE near South Summit after his summit
6. Shriya Shah-Klorfine, 33, a Nepali-born Canadian climbing with Utmost Adventures died below the Balcony after her summit
7. Won-Bin Song from South Korea climbing with the Korean Everest & Lhotse Expedition died after a fall at the Hillary Step and then at the Balcony after his summit
8. Chinese climber, Ha Wenyi climbing with Mountain Experience died just below the Balcony
9. Juan José Polo Carbayo, 43, climbing with Himalayan Guides, died May 20 after summiting from the north, probably of exhaustion. Dr. Polo had been living in the Canary Islands, Spain.
10. Climbing with Monterosa, a German climber, Ralf D. Arnold, broke his leg at the 2nd step and has died after his summit
  • trek_tomato
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Everest - Death toll this climbing season 7 years, 7 months ago #82

Have read somewhere that most deaths on mountains are caused due to avalanches. Also some book says that 80% of the deaths occur on slopes during descent from the summit. Should try to find how close are these two statements from the mishaps during this season.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds