" It's a round trip. Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First pair of shoes for moderate level rock climbing?.

First pair of shoes for moderate level rock climbing?. 7 years, 2 months ago #543

I am confused, what should be my first pair of rock climbing shoes, for moderate level of rock climbing?
  • uphillclimb
  • Senior Boarder

Re: First pair of shoes for moderate level rock climbing?. 7 years, 2 months ago #544

Well, to begin with, you will have to decide even if you are looking at an intermediate level of rock climbing, how frequent and aggressive climber are you or anyone else we are talking here of. Then you can check brands like Evolv, Scarpa,Asolo, La Sportiva and others. Before that, the fundamentals. The basic criteria is the fit of the shoe and that depends on the shape of your foot and your type of climbing. The last or sole is available in various sole patterns for accommodating several types of climbing and foot shapes. Generally, these vary from flat, mildly asymmetrical to pronounced / aggressively down turned, while some of the lasts are more asymmetrically displaced in the direction of the big toe. The mild type of last is crafted for the beginner and intermediate climbers and is specially suited for easy angled / vertical climbing. The thumb rule is that easier the level, the bigger the foot and hence you require aggressive shoe wanes. Add to that, the less steep the route is, the more the climber stands on his/her feet. Hence, a mild last is considerably flatter than any other. Further, as one tends to stand more wearing these, they often feature a stiff midsole which provides greater support and a roomier toe box. check these links.. for more..
www.climbing.com/gear/rock-climbing/climbing-shoes/
www.adventuresportsonline.com/shoeclimb.htm
www.madrockclimbing.com/support/
  • sheereeb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds